geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: mysql
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:36:23 GMT
On 4/10/06, Arjen van der Weijden <Arjen.van.der.Weijden@rivm.nl> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Aaron,
>
> Yes, I renamed the jar to mysql.jar. What are the reasons for mandating the
> use of the version-number?

Well, I'm sure we could have a long and detailed discussion about
version numbers, but to give you an example...  We let you export a
configuration (an application or a set of services) from your server
and import it into a different Geronimo server (or directly send
configurations from one Geronimo server to another).  When you do
that, the configuration includes a list of dependencies that the other
server needs to have in order for your configuration to run.  If it
says "mysql.jar" is a dependency, that doesn't help too much.  If it
says "MySQL 3.1.17" then that's something we can verify and download
if it's not already available.  Since we can put version numbers in
dependencies, we need to have version numbers in the files on disk so
we know if that particular version of the dependency is available.

We're talking about adding a directory for miscellaneous common
libraries where you could dump any JAR regardless of name and have it
added to the application classpath, though if you use that it would
probably mean you'd be a little limited in how you could use features
like the configuration export described above.

Thanks,
    Aaron

> gr.
>

> Arjen
>

> |-------------------------------------->
> |            "Aaron Mulder"            |
> |            <ammulder@alumni.princeton|
> |            .edu>                     |
> |            Sent by:                  |
> |            ammulder@gmail.com        |
> |                                      |
> |                                      |
> |            2006-04-10 04:47 PM       |
> |                Please respond to     |
> |             user@geronimo.apache.org |

>   |        user@geronimo.apache.org

                             cc|

                        Subject|