geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Release Management
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:55:23 GMT

On Mar 28, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Bradford, Jeff L wrote:

> My reference to "the Eclipse > Software Update option" below was
> just an
> example reference to a nice easy pull solution to version upgrades.
>
> I was wondering if Geronimo had any plans of offering some type of
> migration solution (i.e. executable, script, etc.) to expedite version
> migrations for the users.  Our current vendor app server offers
> this and
> another open source app server here does not, and it is becoming
> more an
> more of a productivity killer issue.

There's going to be a fairly big plan change between 1.0 and 1.1, and
I'm working on a utility for upgrading plans.  I'm hoping that this
scheme will be extensible for the future.  We're certainly aware of
the problem.  As far as the server itself, we are working towards a
plugin based server architecture, which as a side effect should make
it easy to have the server upgrade itself (on request :-)

If you have more ideas for what would be useful, please let us know!

thanks
david jencks