geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Santosh Koti" <Santosh_K...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: Clustering help..!
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:05:21 GMT

Thanks a lot, Dave for ur reply..!

Thanks,
Santosh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Colasurdo [mailto:davecola@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:17 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Clustering help..!

Comments below..

Santosh Koti wrote:
> Hernan,
>

> I got it working finally , both with the sticky session=0,1 , in
> non-sticky session , some time it fails...!
>

> Any idea..?

I'd recommend always running with sticky session enabled.  This means
that all requests from a particular client (e.g. browser)will be routed
to the same cluster member if session data is used.  This is the safest
and most efficient way to assure that session state is maintained across

http requests.
Requests will be rerouted to a different cluster member only when the
original cluster member fails or is unreachable.

> (I have given my config details after my questions,ie, below..!)
>

> *Some questions:*
>

> *a) Note: Once I build my EAR file , I deploy it on both the machines,

> so the Geronimo-web.xml is the same on both machines, I guess it has
> be different w.r.t 'mcastBindAddress' - value for different
instances..! *

Yes, there are two spots in the deployment plan that needs to be updated

with the IP address for the specific server.

> * *
>
> * *
>
> *b) One more question I need to ask is : gbean name="FarmWarDeployer"
,
> needs to be specified in the deployment plan , or is it optional...?*

IIRC, FarmWarDeployer is commented out in the deployment plan as it was
never tested.  It was suspected that there may be additional changes to
geronimo to fully support farming.

> * *
>
> * *
>
> *c) By the way , what is farming , is it used for deploying **ur**
> application on to the cluster members, if so , will it change the
> deployment plan at run time..?*

Farming provides hot deployment of an application across a cluster.
Basically, an application (war) is deployed on one cluster member and is

automatically deployed to all of the other members in the cluster.

> *(correct me if I am wrong..!)*
>

> As asked, here are my details (that I added to the existing stuff):
>

> -------------Part of Httpd.conf file ------
>

> LoadModule jk_module modules\mod_jk.so
>
> JkWorkersFile C:\Apache-HTTP\Apache2\conf\workers.properties
>
> JkLogFile     C:\Apache-HTTP\Apache2\logs\mod_jk.log
>
> #JkLogLevel    info
>

> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
>
> JkAutoAlias C:\Apache-HTTP\Apache2\config-store
>
> #JkMount /console/* ajp13
>
> #JkMount /setl/* ajp13
>
> JkMount /setl* loadbalancer
>

> -------------End of Httpd.conf file ------
>

> --------------workers.properties----------------
>
> worker.list=loadbalancer,status,node1,node2
>
> worker.node1.port=8009
>
> worker.node1.host=localhost
>
> worker.node1.type=ajp13
>
> worker.node1.lbfactor=100
>

> worker.node2.port=8009
>
> worker.node2.host=172.25.203.139
>
> worker.node2.type=ajp13
>
> worker.node2.lbfactor=100
>

> worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
>
> worker.loadbalancer.balance_workers=node1,node2
>
> #worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=0
>
> worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=1
>

> worker.status.type=status
>
> /setl=loadbalancer
>
> /setl/*=loadbalancer
>

> --------------end of workers.properties----------------
>

> -----------------geronimo-web.xml----------------
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <web-app
>
>     xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.0"
>
>     xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.0"
>
>     configId="MyConfigName"
>
>     parentId="SBank/Entities"
>
>   >

>   <container-config>
>
>         <tomcat
> xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web/tomcat/config-1.0">
>
>             <cluster>TomcatCluster</cluster>
>

>                 <gbean name="TomcatCluster"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.CatalinaClusterGBean">
>
>                   <attribute

name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster</attri
bute>

>                   <attribute name="initParams">
>

> managerClassName=org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
>
>                       expireSessionsOnShutdown=false
>
>                       useDirtyFlag=false
>
>                       notifyListenersOnReplication=true
>
>                   </attribute>
>

>                   <reference name="Membership">
> <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType> <name>TomcatMembership</name>

> </reference>
>
>                   <reference name="Receiver">
> <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType> <name>TomcatReceiver</name>

> </reference>
>
>                   <reference name="Sender">
> <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType> <name>TomcatSender</name>
</reference>

>                   <reference name="TomcatValveChain">
> <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType> <name>ReplicationValve</name>

> </reference>
>
>                   <!--
>
>                   <reference name="ClusterDeployer">
> <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType> <name>FarmWarDeployer</name>

> </reference>
>
>                   -->
>
>                     </gbean>
>

>                     <gbean name="TomcatMembership"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.MembershipServiceGBean">
>
>                         <attribute

name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService</attribu
te>

>                         <attribute name="initParams">
>
>                             mcastAddr=228.0.0.4
>
>                             mcastBindAddress= 172.21.34.97
>
>                             mcastPort=45564
>
>                             mcastFrequency=500
>
>                             mcastDropTime=3000
>
>                         </attribute>
>
>                    </gbean>
>

>                        <!-- Receiver -->
>

>                    <gbean name="TomcatReceiver"
>

> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.ReceiverGBean">
>
>                        <attribute

name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener</at
tribute>

>                        <attribute name="initParams">
>
>                            tcpListenAddress= 172.21.34.97
>
>                            tcpListenPort=4001
>
>                            tcpSelectorTimeout=100
>
>                            tcpThreadCount=6
>
>                        </attribute>
>
>                    </gbean>
>

>                    <!-- Sender -->
>

>                    <gbean name="TomcatSender"
>

> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.SenderGBean">
>
>                        <attribute

name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter<
/attribute>

>                        <attribute name="initParams">
>
>                            replicationMode=pooled
>
>                            ackTimeout=15000
>
>                        </attribute>
>
>                         </gbean>
>

>                     <!-- Valves -->
>
>                  <gbean name="ReplicationValve"
>
>                    class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ValveGBean">
>
>                    <attribute

name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve</attri
bute>

>                    <attribute name="initParams">

filter=.*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.css;.*\.png;.*\.jpeg;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;
.*\.txt;