geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:45:25 GMT
Excellent feedback from all..

Here is an attempt to consolidate the feedback into one list. (Hope I'm
not stepping on anyone's toes.)  I've grouped by a few high level
categories..
Of course, one could argue that some of the items could fall into
multiple categories...  Any glaring omissions?

Specifications/Functionality
****************************
-JDK 5 for Geronimo
-JEE 5
   Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0
   Java Servlet 2.5
   Java ServerPages 2.1
   Java ServerPages Standard Tag Library
   Java Persistence Architecture (is this part of Java EE?)
   Java Transaction API (JTA)
   J2EE Management
   J2EE Connector Architecture
-JAX-WS support
-javax.persistence
-Dynamic Queries
-annotated session beans.
-Support for JSR-168 (Portlet API)
-ServiceMix
-GBean improvements (doc, lifecycle, dependencies, dep. injection, ..)
-Maven2 support
-service/daemon wrapper
-Remove the requirement of the openejb-jar.xml??
-Better db tools in the admin console
-Configuration management, possibility to make a production version
without some current modules (e.g. OpenEJB or ActiveMQ),
   there are end users who don't have the resources (memory, disk) to
run Geronimo fully equipped and they don't need every
   feature of the J2EE stack
- Continued support of Jetty
-First class HttpSession clustering.
-More integration with Apache mod_JK/mod_ajp . It would be nice if a
request would continue through a pool until it landed
on a server with that webapp.
-Mass deployment tools that allow the server 'cloning' and rollout
mentioned during Geronimos initial days.

Tools
*****
-JDK 5 for launching and running the Geronimo Eclipse plugin
-Eclipse plugin improvement (it is really good but think it could be
better)
-Eclipse mini-roadmap (from Sachin)
   - run resources directly from the workspace, so the ear isn't built
and re-packaged on every publish
   - More control over the runtime/server wizards, publish process, and
server management
   - Continue to build up the UI so we have a complete set of "form
editors" for the G deployment plans
   - ability to see changes reflected live in something like the Common
Navigator as you modify your plans
   - full synchronization between the source view and views using the model
   - copy/paste, undo/redo support
   -There's also plans in WTP to improve the Server Tools Framework to
make it easier to have more control over what defines your runtime.
-NetBeans support

Usability
*********
-Deployment
   Less deployment requirements (simpler plans, more defaults, etc.)
   Simplifying deployment (some means to generate geronimo deployment plans?
   Easier  way to  deploy  EAR Files
   More application validation at deployment
   Better redeployment to prevent requests from failing if they hit that
server during the  redeploy.
-More powerful text configuration
-Migration path from Tomcat to Geronimo
-Shortcuts for building web services

Process
*******
-More frequent releases incorporating more user feedback (small releases
more often vs. big releases only 4 times a year)
-Geronimo Certified Partner Program (including Jetspeed-2 as a member).

Documentation
*************
-Tutorials
   How to use Geronimo with: Apache Axis, WSS4J, ActiveMQ
-Cookbooks
-Better documentation on deployment descriptors
-More detailed documentation about the architecture.
-A browsable table describing where to find all plans, etc. for each
deployed component or service.
-More documentaion on deploying EAR's, WAR's, EJB's, RAR's, classloading
and dependencies with that apps)

Examples
********
-Examples for everything
-More documentation/examples for me should be more explicative models of
the basic openejb-jar.xml and ejb-jar.xml,
    explaining which tag points where or what
   Session beans, entity beans(BMP and CMP)
   Message-Driven-Bean.

-Dave-