geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Marsha Johnson <majohn...@jpsco.com>
Subject Re: Accessing JMS resources from application client
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:16:52 GMT
Aaron Mulder <ammulder@...> writes:

> I don't think you can connect to a JMS resource living in the server
> from an application client (nor can a client access a server-side JDBC
> pool; an app client can only remotely access EJBs running in the
> server).
>
> However, there is a trick whereby you essentailly configure the client
> to independently connect to the same JMS server so it will still send
> and receive messages using the same JMS topics/queues.  I believe what
> you need to do in order to make this work is to add the kind of
> settings that are in your connector deployment plan to your
> geronimo-application-client.xml deployment plan, so the app client
> also knows how to connect to the JMS server.  I don't have an example
> of this, but I know there are some out there -- perhaps David J can
> point you to one?
>
> Thanks,
>     Aaron
>
> On 3/23/06, Marsha Johnson <majohnson@...> wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I am using IBM Websphere Application Server Community Edition and I am
trying
> > to create a client application that will consume messages from a queue
created
> > from a deployment plan external to the application.  Both the queue and
> > connection factory have been successfully deployed from the following plan:
> >
> > <connector xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/connector-1.0"
> > configId="org/apache/geronimo/OPJmsPlan"
> > parentId="geronimo/activemq/1.0/car">
> > <resourceadapter>
> >
> > However, when I try to deploy I get the following message:
> > Error: Unable to distribute OPConsumer.ear: Unable to resolve
> > resource reference 'jms/OPConnFactory1' (no matching resources
> > found)
> >

> > What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  They both seem to speak to building
the connector in the geronimo-application-client plan though.  The problem is
that it is a web service that pushes messages onto the queue and the
application client(which by the way is a jar file packaged in an ear file)
which should pop the messages from the queue, process them, and send them back
to the web service.  If I build the JMS objects inside the application client,
would the web service be able to find them?

Also, I had tried importing my connector deployment plan into my ear's
application.xml file.

Then, I didn't get the error concerining not being able to find the JMS
resources.  But when I tried to run the application client, I received a "Port
in use exception; 1099" error.  This port is the java.naming.provider.url port
for rmi.

-- Marsha --