geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <>
Subject Re: Deploy Tool: deploy vs redeploy
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:44:05 GMT
+1 make the default development case easier!

If want it to be explicit, then make that use a more verbose form..
"deploy --strict" or something like that.  I guess you can always
assume that a redeploy is strict (fail if not there) since the user
would have used deploy to get a redeploy.

On 3/24/06, Aaron Mulder <> wrote:
> Currently if you use the command-line deploy tool, you have to specify
> different deploy commands depending on whether the module is already
> deployed.  That is, you use "deploy" the first time, and "redeploy"
> thereafter:
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar deploy foo.war
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar deploy foo.war   <-- fails, already deployed
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar redeploy foo.war
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar undeploy foo.war
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar redeploy foo.war   <-- fails, not deployed
> After using this a bit, I'd lean toward combining these into one
> command where the deploy tool will deploy the app if it's not already
> running, and redeploy it if it is already running.
> Any objections to that?  I wonder if there are real-world cases where
> you'd rather get the error if the deployment state isn't what you'd
> expect.  On the other hand, that seems seriously outweighed by the
> number of times I up-arrow and repeat the previous command and it
> gives an error because it's already deployed or whatever.  At this
> point, I think making things easier during development ought to be the
> higher priority.
> Thanks,
>     Aaron

View raw message