geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Deploy Tool: deploy vs redeploy
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:54:52 GMT
Currently if you use the command-line deploy tool, you have to specify
different deploy commands depending on whether the module is already
deployed.  That is, you use "deploy" the first time, and "redeploy"
thereafter:

java -jar bin/deployer.jar deploy foo.war
java -jar bin/deployer.jar deploy foo.war   <-- fails, already deployed
java -jar bin/deployer.jar redeploy foo.war
java -jar bin/deployer.jar undeploy foo.war
java -jar bin/deployer.jar redeploy foo.war   <-- fails, not deployed

After using this a bit, I'd lean toward combining these into one
command where the deploy tool will deploy the app if it's not already
running, and redeploy it if it is already running.

Any objections to that?  I wonder if there are real-world cases where
you'd rather get the error if the deployment state isn't what you'd
expect.  On the other hand, that seems seriously outweighed by the
number of times I up-arrow and repeat the previous command and it
gives an error because it's already deployed or whatever.  At this
point, I think making things easier during development ought to be the
higher priority.

Thanks,
    Aaron