geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javamail
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:18:14 GMT
Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> Alex,
>
> There was a bug in Transport.send().  Transport.send(msg) problem is
> now fixed.  See related JIRA GERONIMO-1669.
>
> I wonder how it worked for you, pre GERONIMO-1669, without calling
> transport.connect() explicitly.
The SMTPTransport code in the 1.0 version did not conform with the
javamail specification with respect to sendMessage() and connect().  The
1.0 version of sendMessage() was issuing it's own connect() and close(),
so Transport.send() would have worked on the older version.  JIRA
GERONIMO-1530 was a major update to the SMTPTransport that cleaned up
that aspect, and GERONIMO-1593 cleaned up SMTPTransport even more.
Unfortunately, Transport.send() was also implemented incorrectly, but
happened to work because of the "equal and opposite bugs".  That one was
missed when the other updates went in.  I wasn't even aware that
Transport.send() existed until this morning :-)

Rick