geronimo-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Fran Varin <FVA...@AMICA.com>
Subject Re: Configurint Geronimo to use DB2
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:20:38 GMT

First of all, I would like to thank all of those who took the time to respond
to my post. Your input was very helpful and much appreciated. 

At this point I have been able to connect to a DB2 database! I think the
issues were largely due to a learning curve with using Geronimo. I took a
step back this morning and installed a copy of WAS-CE along side of my
Geronimo installation. My rationale was that WAS-CE is based on Geronimo and
perhaps the DB2 integration was streamlined somewhat. That proved to be an
incorrect assumption on my part. I reviewed the article from my second link
in this post again and upon this review with fresh eyes finally understood
what was really the issue. 

Here was the process: 
1) Copy the DB2 drivers to the "repository" directory within the server
folder structure. 
    - I had to create the following "db2\jars" within the repository folder.
2) Rename the driver jars as described in the named tutorials 
    - Be sure to have the correct "license" jars, there are three (not all
may be needed) and the DB2 doc describes the use of each
3) Start the server and launch the admin console. 
4) Select database pool and configure according to the tutorial. 
    - In the case of using db2 connect its important to review the
attributes necessary for connecting to that server. 
    - HERE IS WHERE I WENT WRONG...The database pool "wizard" is a tool that
creates the deployment descriptor. For some reason this was lost on me and
my understanding was that the descriptor needed to be created separately
from using the wizard. I saw the wizard as an additional step in configuring
the datasource. 
   - The tutorial indicates that the exception indicating that the missing
license jar is "normal" and instructs you to select the "skip test and view"
button. When you do that you are supposed to see the generated deployment
descriptor xml. However, this facility seems to be broken...I sawa a blank
edit box. So rather than copy that xml and edit it to add the dependencies
(for the license jars), I used the xml directly from the sample and modified
it to match the datasource connection I needed. This little "issue" with the
wizard and the exception was what sent me down a bad road initially. It
seemed we were running into some kind of license violation. It was not
obvious that the license jars needed to be added manually to the descripor
as dependencies. 
   - Next, I saved the deployment xml to the "bin" directory of the server
and launced the deployment tool exactly as stated in the tutorial from the
command line. Worked great...
   - I then went back to the admin console and was able to see my datasource
"running". Selecting edit I was able to view the definitions I had made and
could possibly change them there. 

Whew...I'm calling this one done for now. Hopefully, that will get us over
the hump. 

It seems that the wizard needs some work...documenation could be better as
well. However, it is new and the learning experience was interesting. 
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Configurint-Geronimo-to-use-DB2-t1324683.html#a3555010
Sent from the Apache Geronimo - Users forum at Nabble.com.


Mime
View raw message