geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Absolute file path as dependency in plan
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:14:05 GMT

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Kenji Nakamura wrote:

> David,
>
> AFAIK, Eclipse output directory must be under the project, so it is
> impossible to move the destination under geronimo's repository
> directory unless resorting to symbolic link. I'm reluctant to use
> such a brute force way since we need to support different dev
> environment (win32, osx, etc.) Geronimo Eclipse plugin seems to
> archive and export to repository on code changes, but I believe it
> is less transparent than the current approach I take.

I'm pretty sure that the geronimo 1.0 repository can only deal with
packed jar files in its repository, so if I'm correct even a symbolic
link won't work.  What you are doing in M5  looks pretty handy :-)

I think that sometime in the future we can support something even
more integrated with eclipse by including an additional
EclipseRepository that locates artifacts identified by groupId/
artifactId/version/type in the eclipse project itself.  This will let
you use the same dependencies in your geronimo plan in development
and production, and let eclipse manage the actual classes.  However
this is some time off in the future.

> Besides, I've read users-ML on Feb. 10 that Aaron Mulder mentioned
> the default value of 4th path is "jar" when omitted, so I'm
> wondering if the dependency definition you gave me would be
> interpreted as "repository/kenjin/util- 1.0.jar" instead of
> "repository/kenjin/util/1.0" directory. Which is correct?

In a maven 1 style repo, the artifact would be a jar at repository/
kenjin/jars/util-1.0.jar

As mentioned above, I think it has to be an actual jar file, although
you could try having a directory there with that name (including
the .jar).

I'm afraid that with g 1.0 you will have to jar up your classes and
put the jars into the geronimo repo.  However, please let us know if
I am wrong and you can use an unpacked directory or a link of some
kind to the eclipse location.

thanks
david jencks