geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Kernel without anything !!!
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:46:07 GMT
On 2/20/06, alan ah <lookalan@gmail.com> wrote:

>       Is there any way , i can build only Geronimo kernel , without any open
> source components running into it. so that i can add them one by one as
> required.

Alan,

If you want a Geronimo kernel with absolutely nothing, you will need
to build it from source. But a kernel without any modules is not all
that useful. And adding modules one-by-one as you put it can be done,
but this all takes place at the code compilation level right now.

At a high level, here's how the code breaks down:

modules --> configs --> assemblies

Modules are Java source code (in the src/modules directory). For each
module to be used in Geronimo, a configuration must exist (in the
configs directory) to handle all the dependencies for the module. A
custom Geronimo is accomplished by creating a custom assembly (in the
assemblies directory) that includes the configurations for that
assembly.

This is a complex process that I'd like to see made much easier, but
that will take some time.

Bruce
);'

Apache Geronimo (http://geronimo.apache.org/)