geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Geronimo Web Interceptors, WebSSO with Authentication Proxy
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:44:22 GMT
> At least for Jetty I think we would need another Authenticator to
> replace e.g. the FormAuthenticator or BasicAuthenticator.  This could
> fish the info out of the request and put it into a CallbackHandler
> for use by a login module.  Installing this is going to require some
> changes in the JettyModuleBuilder.  After you write the Authenticator
> it would be pretty easy to add code to install it.  We'll have to
> come up with some flag in the jetty plan to indicate what you want.

OK

> I think this could be switched on or off by changing the login module
> you use.

I was wondering whether we'd even both grabbing the credential header
or just grab the username and group list.  I agree that if the web
container provides the credential then it's up to the login module to
decide whether to store it or not, and in fact you could just layer on
our existing credential saving login module if we use the same
callback handlers.

> It's not clear to me whether this is normally configured so that
> - geronimo will trust the security info from the authentication
> server and simply stuff it into a Subject
> or
> - geronimo will re-authenticate based on the info from the header.
>
> If the first, I wonder if a login module is really the most
> appropriate approach.  I'm hoping to hear what Simon Godik thinks.

I was assuming we would not re-authenticate, under the assumption that
the SSO service may well have access to more information than Geronimo
does (in the architectures like this I've seen, the app server doesn't
have a link to the LDAP server).  The reason I suggested a LoginModule
is that it would work (assuming some callback standardization) and all
our plumbing for that is in place -- it would require no code changes
in the security module and you could still use our auditing feature,
etc.

Thanks,
    Aaron