geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Geronimo Web Interceptors, WebSSO with Authentication Proxy
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:46:38 GMT
So it sounds like we need to accept a "trusted" username and group
list from the HTTP request?  It would be easy enough to prepare a
LoginModule to handle that.  The problem is, I suspect we'll need a
code change to the web containers so that they could provide HTTP
request information to the LoginModule on demand.  I imagine we'd
provide a way in the geronimo-web.xml to list the user and group
property names (iv-user, iv-groups) that should be passed in to the
LoginModule on request.

Can I just ask a couple more questions?

1) How is the information attached to the request?  Is it an HTTP
header or a get/post parameter?

2) What is the format of the group list for iv-groups?

3) Would you need the credentials for anything, e.g. if it's a
password, to turn around and log into a web service or CORBA service?

Thanks,
    Aaron

On 24 Feb 2006 11:12:46 +0100, sepima@poczta.fm <sepima@poczta.fm> wrote:
> First, I%u2019d like to explain WebSEAL functionality in few words.
>
> WebSEAL is some kind of the reverse proxy with authentication and authorization extensions.
WebSEAL is part of TAM (Tivoli Access Manager). Usually it works in front of HTTP or Application
Server in DMZ. Diagram below shows the hi-level architecture (flow of request) with WebSEAL:

> [user] ---> [WebSEAL] ---> [firewall] ---> [HTTPServer] ---> [Geronimo]
>
> Obviously Firewall and HTTPServer are not mandatory and for our consideration I propose
analyse this case without it.

> One instance of WebSEAL can work with more than one application (or web) server. WebSEAL
provides functionality like Web SSO, a lot of authentication mechanisms, Step-up of authentication
and a few more.

> After WebSEAL authenticates the user, it adds his username (iv-user), groups (iv-groups)
and credentials (iv-creds) to the request which is forwarded to the backend-server. I hope
Geronimo can use this information to authenticate user automatically.
> Please correct me if I am wrong, my proposition is to use the Interceptor to do it. My
problem is that I don%u2019t know how to change the interceptor in Geronimo-jetty ;(

> >I'd like to be able to plug third-party authentication providers like
> >this into Geronimo.  It's possible we can do it with a custom security
> >login module.
>
> I know we can but I want to use WebSEAL or any other Authentication Proxy for authentication
and pre-authorization of the user requests.

> >How much do you know about the WebSEAL API?
>
> I hope I know this API well :)
>
> >If there
> >was some remote call we could make, for example, to supply a username
> >and password and get back whether it was valid and a list of groups,
> >that would be pretty easy to integrate.
>
> Of course TAM has API to do it. To be precise, I made it and this is works fine. But,
I hope you understand me, that it does not meet my needs.