geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Using Firebird through Jaybird in a JEE application in Geronimo
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:37:57 GMT
Great to hear it!

If you put the web application WAR and EJB JAR together in an EAR,
then the web application classes will automatically be able to see the
EJB classes from the EJB JAR -- no special configuration is necessary.

If you want to deploy the web application WAR and EJB JAR separately,
then the best strategy is usually to put the EJB interfaces in
WEB-INF/classes or in a JAR in WEB-INF/lib so the web app classes can
see the EJB interface classes (and any data transfer object classes
and stuff; but they don't need to see the EJB implementation classes).

In Geronimo, if the WAR and EJB JAR are deployed separately, you could
also list the EJB JAR configId as an <import> in your geronimo-web.xml
and then the web app classes would be able to see the EJB classes even
if they're not included in the WAR -- but this is slightly less
portable because some other servers don't have a similar feature
(whereas the EAR approach or packing the EJB interfaces in the WAR
shoudl work on any server).

All in all, I think the EAR approach is best.

As far as the database pool goes, it doesn't really matter if the EJB
accesses the database pool or if it calls a helper class that accesses
the database pool.  Just make sure that the helper class gets a new
connection from the database pool on every call, and does not try to
save an open connection for future use.  That way, due to some magic
in the pooling implementation*, if 5 EJBs call the helper class at the
same time, the ones in the same transaction will get the same
connection from the pool, and the ones in different transactions will
get different connections from the pool, which is generally the
behavior you want.

Thanks,
    Aaron

* Controlled by the sharable flag in the resource adapter, which
should be enabled by default for the TranQL JDBC pool resource adapter

On 2/20/06, Olivier Voutat <olivier.voutat@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> direct connections to the database or it doesn't really matter ?
>
> I'm thinking about it because we did here like this:
> ejb's --> simple class which makes the connection --> database pool
>
> Here is my thought, if a simple class deals with the connection, all the
> ejb's may suddenly try to use it at the same time, no ? My thought is right
> ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Olivier Voutat
>

> On 2/20/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu > wrote:
> > On 2/19/06, Olivier Voutat < olivier.voutat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Like this so:
> > >
> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > > <web-app id="WebApp_15" version="2.4" xmlns="
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > > " xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> > > xsi:schemaLocation=" http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">
> > >     <display-name>AgendaWeb</display-name>
> > >     <welcome-file-list>
> > >         <welcome-file> index.html</welcome-file>
> > >     </welcome-file-list>
> > >     <servlet>
> > >         <servlet-name>Controle</servlet-name>
> > >

> <servlet-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.servlet.ControladorServlet
> > > </servlet-class>
> > >     </servlet>
> > >     <servlet-mapping>
> > >         <servlet-name>Controle</servlet-name>
> > >         <url-pattern>/control</url-pattern>
> > >     </servlet-mapping>
> > >     <ejb-ref>
> > >         <ejb-ref-name>Agenda</ejb-ref-name>
> > >         <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
> > >         <home>br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.AgendaHome</home>
> > >         <remote> br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.Agenda</remote>
> > >         <ejb-link>Agenda</ejb-link>
> > >     </ejb-ref>
> > > </web-app>
> >
> > Right -- then look the EJB up in your servlet with code like this:
> >
> > AgendaHome home = (AgendaHome)new
> > InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env/Agenda");
> >
> > > Question: It is more eficient to use a Database Pool or Entity-Beans ?
> >
> > For simple things, the entity beans should be more efficient unless
> > you're very aggressive about optimizing your database access.  For
> > more complex queries or usage involving a large number of rows (like a
> > search screen), JDBC is typically more efficient.  But you also have
> > to factor in the amount of effort required to write and maintain the
> > code -- both the SQL on the JDBC side and the entity bean classes,
> > interfaces, and deployment descriptors on the EJB side.  If you're
> > working with entity beans, you may want to look into tools like
> > Middlegen and XDoclet to generate some of that code for you.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >     Aaron

> call
> > > the
> it

> > > Agenda]]></description>

> </home>
> > > > >

> <ejb-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.AgendaBean</ejb-class>
> > > > >
> <transaction-type>Container</transaction-type>

EJB
> module.
EJB JAR
> at

EJB JAR next

> need
> > > much
> In
> you
> > > don't

I never used
> > > until

> EAR
> > > and

I must create
> this
> it

> > > where

> > > <res-ref-name>MyDatabase</res-ref-name>
> > > > > > > > > >

> <res-sharing-scope>Shareable</res-sharing-scope>

> that
> > > to a
> res-ref-name in
the name of the
> > > database

> JNDI

from a web
> component
> > > like
> > > web.xml
> > > geronimo-web.xml

a little
> problem....u
> > > made
u see I'm a
> student
> > > of
as our main
> programming
Geronimo now I call
> it

how should I
> configure
> > > my

is very easy to use
> and
> > > works

> ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
to use the connection
> pool
 You need a
> <dependency>
your J2EE module (
> e.g.

the dependency
> element
> > > should
> the
test it hit "Show
> Plan"
the <depenency>
> element
> > > from
for your J2EE module
console this way, but
> > > it'll
 :)  Anyway,
> it'll be
where you put it in

olivier.voutat@gmail.com>

I'm trying to establish
Database using

> http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=files&id=jaybird

Geronimo is only certified
> for
> > > J2EE

> > > already
to Firebird through
> unixODBC

Didn't understand
> very
> > > well
my situation:

a database pool to do a
jaybird-full-2.0.1.jar
> > > avaliable

a database pool
> connection
I put:

> jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/firebirdData/mydatabase.fdb

Connection" and no problem
> > > alert

and it stills gives me the

< david_jencks@yahoo.com>

6:22 PM, Olivier Voutat wrote:

> [...]
how to install the driver to
> make
> > > this
applications in Geronimo. Tried
> many
that makes it works. Didn't
> find
> > > any

me about it ?

latest rar from the
> downloads,
> > > but
firebird issue 1433327).  I
> > > fixed
if you build the rar yourself
> it
> > > will
a copy privately).  If you
> want to
> > > use
release, you need to change
> in

> > > interface>javax.resource.security.PasswordCredential
> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> interface>javax.resource.spi.security.PasswordCredential

a correct rar, you can
> modify
> > > the
to suit your environment and