geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Web Interceptors, WebSSO with Authentication Proxy
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:39:40 GMT

On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:46 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> So it sounds like we need to accept a "trusted" username and group
> list from the HTTP request?  It would be easy enough to prepare a
> LoginModule to handle that.  The problem is, I suspect we'll need a
> code change to the web containers so that they could provide HTTP
> request information to the LoginModule on demand.  I imagine we'd
> provide a way in the geronimo-web.xml to list the user and group
> property names (iv-user, iv-groups) that should be passed in to the
> LoginModule on request.

At least for Jetty I think we would need another Authenticator to
replace e.g. the FormAuthenticator or BasicAuthenticator.  This could
fish the info out of the request and put it into a CallbackHandler
for use by a login module.  Installing this is going to require some
changes in the JettyModuleBuilder.  After you write the Authenticator
it would be pretty easy to add code to install it.  We'll have to
come up with some flag in the jetty plan to indicate what you want.

> Can I just ask a couple more questions?
>
> 1) How is the information attached to the request?  Is it an HTTP
> header or a get/post parameter?
>
> 2) What is the format of the group list for iv-groups?
>
> 3) Would you need the credentials for anything, e.g. if it's a
> password, to turn around and log into a web service or CORBA service?

I think this could be switched on or off by changing the login module
you use.

It's not clear to me whether this is normally configured so that
- geronimo will trust the security info from the authentication
server and simply stuff it into a Subject
or
- geronimo will re-authenticate based on the info from the header.

If the first, I wonder if a login module is really the most
appropriate approach.  I'm hoping to hear what Simon Godik thinks.

thanks
david jencks