geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Lin Sun <linsun_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: remotely deploy application within eclipse
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:41:46 GMT
Thanks for the clarification.  Following your instruction of modifying an existing
server, I was able to monitor the started status of my remote server within a local
eclipse.   I could not get this far when I used File--New--Other--Server to define a new
geronimo server.  I got a red X at the page that allows user to config rmi, http, admin
userid and password.  Unfortunatelly there was no error message.

I'll play more with the remote function.

--- Sachin Patel <sppatel2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it is supported.  I think your confusion lies in the WTP concept
> of runtimes and servers.  The same concepts are applicable across all
> servers, and this concept is nothing new Geronimo is introducing.
> Runtimes are applied to projects which apply a JRE and a Classpath
> Container that is targeted for a specific type and version of a
> server.  Servers are what a given project containing a given runtime
> deploy to. For most, if not all server types, defining a server
> requires you to define a runtime as well, regardless if your server
> is a local or remote server.  A remote server cannot be started from
> within the adapter, but its state is automatically monitored and
> synchronized (STOPPED, STARTING, STARTED), and in order to accomplish
> this a local runtime is needed.
>
> So if you want to deploy to a remote server, simply open the server
> editor and modify the hostname.  If the server is already started,
> wait a few seconds and the server state will update and you will be
> ready to deploy as normal.  If stopped, then manually the start the
> server and the server state in the servers view will update accordingly.
>
> - sachin
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Lin Sun wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have tried the remote deployment via deploy.bat and it worked
> > very well.
> >
> > Now I am interested in remotely deploying my application within
> > eclipse.  Is this
> > supported?  It is not obvious to me how to do it.  I tried to
> > define a new server, then
> > typed my remote geronimo server's host name as server host name,
> > selected geronimo as the
> > server type and hit next.   However, the next screen asked me for
> > application server
> > install directory which I don't know  what to enter for a remote
> > server.   I don't think
> > I can finish defining a new server if the plugin cannot find the bin
> > \server.jar file
> > (finish button is greyed out).
> >
> > Thanks, Lin

> > http://mail.yahoo.com