geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Olivier Voutat" <olivier.vou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Firebird through Jaybird in a JEE application in Geronimo
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:51:14 GMT
Great Aaron,

Thanks again, but about my first doubt (I'm using ear, it's simplest) what I
was trying to avoid is the ref-link in the web.xml.

Beeing more precise I would like to know if there is a way to don't need to
write in two places to configure it.

Is there a way to configure the ejb directly in the web.xml or we do need to
always configure it in the ejb-jar.xml and do the ref-link in the web.xml ?

But thinking more about this, it maybe be better to do it, if we want to
have both a web client and a application client.

Best Regards,
Olivier Voutat

On 2/20/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> WORKED
> > !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED
> !!! IT
> > WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT
> WORKED
> > !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED
> !!! IT
> > WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!!
> >
> > Thank you very much for helping to get there Aaron (and principally for
> your
> > time, man) !!! It worked perfectly.
> >
> > Can I just ask one or two more questions ? Not technical but about best
> > structure.
> >
> > My first doubt is, if I do a Web application that uses ejb's, it is best
> > put the ejb's inside it (WEB-INF/classes), so I don't have to link the
> Web
> > application to them and make a direct reference in the web.xml ? Or this
> way
> > that we used here is more suitable ? Or it doesn't matter at all :) ?
> >
> > The other question is, with a database pool it is best to have ejb's
> that do
> > direct connections to the database or it doesn't really matter ?
> >
> > I'm thinking about it because we did here like this:
> > ejb's --> simple class which makes the connection --> database pool
> >
> > Here is my thought, if a simple class deals with the connection, all the
> > ejb's may suddenly try to use it at the same time, no ? My thought is
> right
> > ?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Olivier Voutat

> > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > > >

> > <servlet-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.servlet.ControladorServlet
> > >
> > > Right -- then look the EJB up in your servlet with code like this:
> > >
> > > AgendaHome home = (AgendaHome)new
> > > InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env/Agenda");

> ?
> > >
> > > For simple things, the entity beans should be more efficient unless
> > > you're very aggressive about optimizing your database access.  For
> > > more complex queries or usage involving a large number of rows (like a
> > > search screen), JDBC is typically more efficient.  But you also have
> > > to factor in the amount of effort required to write and maintain the
> > > code -- both the SQL on the JDBC side and the entity bean classes,
> > > interfaces, and deployment descriptors on the EJB side.  If you're
> > > working with entity beans, you may want to look into tools like
> > > Middlegen and XDoclet to generate some of that code for you.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >     Aaron

> application
> your

> works
> > call
> since
> > it

> > </home>
> > > > > >

> > <ejb-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.AgendaBean</ejb-class>
> > > > > >
> > <transaction-type>Container</transaction-type>

EJB there
> if
> > you

I never
> used

> the
> > EAR

it or I must
> create
> > this
> how
> > it

entry in the
> section
this:

> > <res-sharing-scope>Shareable</res-sharing-scope>

a section to
> point
> > that
> > res-ref-name in
> the

up the data source
> in
> > JNDI

pool from a web
> > component
resource reference

I have a little
> > problem....u
pool... u see I'm a
> > student
Java as our main
> > programming
I knew Geronimo now I
> call
> > it

but how should I
> > configure

me is very easy to
> use
> > and

> > ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
want to use the
> connection
> > pool
 You need a
> > <dependency>
for your J2EE module
> (
> > e.g.
app).

what the dependency
> > element
database pool screen
> in
> > the
you test it hit "Show
> > Plan"
take the <depenency>
> > element
the plan for your J2EE
> module
the console this way,
> but
exactly.  :)  Anyway,
> > it'll be
where you put it

<
> olivier.voutat@gmail.com>

know, I'm trying to
> establish
Firebird Database using

> > http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=files&id=jaybird

that Geronimo is only
> certified
> > for

The application that I'm
> testing
to Firebird through
> > unixODBC

replied. Didn't understand
> > very
is my situation:

create a database pool to do
the jaybird-full-2.0.1.jar

I created a database pool
> > connection
page I put:

> org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver
> the
> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/firebirdData/mydatabase.fdb

"Test Connection" and no
> problem

and it stills gives me

<
> david_jencks@yahoo.com>

at 6:22 PM, Olivier Voutat

how to install the driver to
> > make
to my applications in Geronimo.
> Tried
> > many
a way that makes it works. Didn't
> > find

help me about it ?

the latest rar from the
> > downloads,
(see firebird issue
> 1433327).  I
so if you build the rar
> yourself
> > it
you a copy privately).  If you
> > want to
release, you need to
> change
> > in

> > interface>javax.resource.spi.security.PasswordCredential

rar.

a correct rar, you can
> > modify
to suit your environment