geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Olivier Voutat" <olivier.vou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Firebird through Jaybird in a JEE application in Geronimo
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:15:14 GMT
IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT
WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED
!!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT
WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED
!!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!! IT
WORKED !!! IT WORKED !!!

Thank you very much for helping to get there Aaron (and principally for your
time, man) !!! It worked perfectly.

Can I just ask one or two more questions ? Not technical but about best
structure.

My first doubt is, if I do a Web application that uses ejb's, it is best to
put the ejb's inside it (WEB-INF/classes), so I don't have to link the Web
application to them and make a direct reference in the web.xml ? Or this way
that we used here is more suitable ? Or it doesn't matter at all :) ?

The other question is, with a database pool it is best to have ejb's that do
direct connections to the database or it doesn't really matter ?

I'm thinking about it because we did here like this:
ejb's --> simple class which makes the connection --> database pool

Here is my thought, if a simple class deals with the connection, all the
ejb's may suddenly try to use it at the same time, no ? My thought is right
?

Best Regards,
Olivier Voutat

On 2/20/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> On 2/19/06, Olivier Voutat <olivier.voutat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Like this so:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <web-app id="WebApp_15" version="2.4" xmlns="
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > " xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> > xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">
> >     <display-name>AgendaWeb</display-name>
> >     <welcome-file-list>
> >         <welcome-file> index.html</welcome-file>
> >     </welcome-file-list>
> >     <servlet>
> >         <servlet-name>Controle</servlet-name>
> >
> > <servlet-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.servlet.ControladorServlet
> > </servlet-class>
> >     </servlet>
> >     <servlet-mapping>
> >         <servlet-name>Controle</servlet-name>
> >         <url-pattern>/control</url-pattern>
> >     </servlet-mapping>
> >     <ejb-ref>
> >         <ejb-ref-name>Agenda</ejb-ref-name>
> >         <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
> >         <home>br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.AgendaHome</home>
> >         <remote> br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.Agenda</remote>
> >         <ejb-link>Agenda</ejb-link>
> >     </ejb-ref>
> > </web-app>
>
> Right -- then look the EJB up in your servlet with code like this:
>
> AgendaHome home = (AgendaHome)new
> InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env/Agenda");
>
> > Question: It is more eficient to use a Database Pool or Entity-Beans ?
>
> For simple things, the entity beans should be more efficient unless
> you're very aggressive about optimizing your database access.  For
> more complex queries or usage involving a large number of rows (like a
> search screen), JDBC is typically more efficient.  But you also have
> to factor in the amount of effort required to write and maintain the
> code -- both the SQL on the JDBC side and the entity bean classes,
> interfaces, and deployment descriptors on the EJB side.  If you're
> working with entity beans, you may want to look into tools like
> Middlegen and XDoclet to generate some of that code for you.
>
> Thanks,
>     Aaron
>
> > On 2/19/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> > > The way you're trying to call the EJB is normally used for application
> > > clients.  For a web application, you should declare an ejb-ref in your
> > > web.xml, and include an ejb-link in the ejb-ref that points to the
> > > name of the EJB.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >     Aaron

> call
> > the
> it

> > Agenda]]></description>

> > <ejb-class>br.cefetrn.olivier.ejb.AgendaBean</ejb-class>

> [...]
JAR
> at

> need
> > much
> example.  In
> you
> > don't

> > until

> EAR
> > and

> this
> it

> > where

> > <res-ref-name>MyDatabase</res-ref-name>

> that
> > to a
> res-ref-name in
> > database

> JNDI

> component
> > like
> > web.xml
> > geronimo-web.xml

little
> problem....u
> > made
> student
> > of
> programming
> it

> configure
> > my

> and
> > works

use the connection
> pool
need a
> <dependency>
J2EE module (
> e.g.

dependency
> element
> > should
pool screen in
> the
it hit "Show
> Plan"
<depenency>
> element
> > from
your J2EE module
> > it'll
 :)  Anyway,
> it'll be
you put it in
> the

trying to establish
Database using

> > http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=files&id=jaybird

is only certified
> for
> > J2EE

that I'm testing
> > already
Firebird through
> unixODBC

Didn't understand
> very
> > well

> > avaliable

a database pool
> connection

(deployed in the

> > jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/firebirdData/mydatabase.fdb

> > alert

stills gives me the

david_jencks@yahoo.com>

PM, Olivier Voutat wrote:

> [...]
to install the driver to
> make
> > this
in Geronimo. Tried
> many
makes it works. Didn't
> find
> > any

about it ?

rar from the
> downloads,
> > but
issue 1433327).  I
> > fixed
build the rar yourself
> it
> > will
privately).  If you
> want to
> > use
you need to change
> in

> > interface>javax.resource.security.PasswordCredential
> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > interface>javax.resource.spi.security.PasswordCredential

correct rar, you can
> modify
> > the
your environment and