geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Nicholas Irving" <nirv...@darkedges.com>
Subject RE: Geronimo Web Interceptors, WebSSO with Authentication Proxy
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:40:11 GMT
Okay Trust Association Interceptor (TAI) 101 in terms of WebSphere.

Both the WebSeal and WebSphere use the same directory, otherwise when
somebody is authentication and authorized in WebSeal that user may not exist
in the WebSphere Security Realm.

There is some level of trust configured between the WebSeal and the
Application Server, normally this is done via Mutual SSL, which means that
the Application Server trusts that what it receives can only come from one
place. Secondly the TAI normally has the WebSeal hostname known to it, so
that if it receives a request via Mutual SSL it can trust the request
because it knows the HostName.

The TAI receives the request and examines the Headers for iv_user or
iv_creds, where iv_user is a UID or CN for an entry in the security realm
that it knows how to find. Iv_creds is a reference to a credential being
stored within the Policy Server, which WebSeal uses to authorize requests,
and in turn can be used in the TAM API to get that same identity. Most
common is iv_user, but iv_creds is becoming defacto because it cannot be
easily forged as it is an entry in the credential cache for the WebSeal and
Policy Server.

Some other information can be passed as well, such as an the identity of a
user that only the Application server knows the password for. This is to be
used in cases where Mutual SSL cannot be used, and adds an additional
directory lookup and means a password being stored in some way on the
Application Server.

Through whatever means the credential is then passed to the security context
to create a Security context in the Application Server through it normal
operational channels.

Iv_groups is a comma separate list of cn of the groups the identity belongs
to.