geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: deploying a resource adapter (fwd)
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:56:12 GMT

<snip>

>>> I started looking into the daytrader app you mentioned.  I think
>>> I found its deployed instance in config-store/28, but it looks
>>> like it bundles the activemq and tranql resource adapters under
>>> the TradeDataSource and TradeJMS subdirectories, respectively.
>>> Are you saying they don't need to be there, that they could be
>>> referenced from the daytrader app somehow?
>>
>> They are added by the configuration building process, the
>> simplification is that you don't need to include the rars in your
>> ear yourself.  We are thinking about a way to make it so deploying
>> a j2ee artifact does not copy any of it into the configuration but
>> refers to it in some form in the repository, but this will require
>> at least a new classloader and perhaps unpacking the nested jars
>> into a flat structure.
>
> I'm trying to get away from using JBoss because their software is
> buggy and they're a pain in the ass, but their resource adapter
> deployment and configuration is easier and more flexible than what
> Geronimo currently offers.  Aside from the issue of being able to
> share a single rar among multiple applications, I can also deploy a
> rar file to JBoss without any kind of JBoss-specific
> configuration.  (I understand said resource adapter is useless
> without further configuration --- it's the principle that I don't
> have to build multiple rar archives, one for each app server
> implementation, that matters to me.)

I think there's a communication problem here, but I'm not sure
exactly what or where it is.  I hope I can get you to explain what
you mean in a way I can understand more easily.  Unfortunately I
don't remember all the details of how I wrote the jboss connector
stuff, and they might have changed it somewhat in the last couple
years, but... what do you mean by deploying a rar file without a
plan?  it seems to me that all that is possible is to get the classes
into a classloader that can be referenced somehow.  If you want a
usable instance, you need a vendor plan and a reference to the ra.xml
in the rar and some classloader with the classes in it.

In geronimo, you do roughly the same thing.  There are a couple ways
to make the deployment happen, and which you choose depends a lot on
whether you are trying to put together a special purpose server for
your app or viewing geronimo as something you can't change and just
want to deploy your app on.  If you are trying to build a server or
want to  be able to  distribute your deployed application, you should
use the packaging plugin to build a configuration from the rar and
your plan.  (soon there will be a offline deployer to let you do this
without needing maven).  You can then assemble a server including
the .car file generated.  If you want to regard geronimo as
immutable, you can use the online deployer, again with the rar file
and your plan.  I don't see the difference between putting the rar
file in the maven repo or the geronimo repo (geronimo) or "deploying"
it without a plan on jboss.

If you build the car file, you will be able to include it in any
geronimo server you want: it includes all its classes and is
"predeployed".  (the tool support for adding it to an existing server
is not too good yet).

I'm not familiar with Geronimo's deployment strategy, but it sounds
like each deployment module gets its own classloader.  Rather than
copy dependencies, couldn't they be referenced via classloader
delegation or a similar mechanism?

We would like to come up with a way to avoid copying all the classes
into a car file, but as I mentioned this will take some classloader
tricks.  However, I'm not sure how this affects a user.  The copying
is done by geronimo during deployment.  As long as you only need to
start with one copy of the rar, why do you care how many times
geronimo copies it?

thanks
david jencks

(looks like I confused the quoting in my mail program, sorry)

<snip>