geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: deploying a resource adapter (fwd)
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 05:49:13 GMT

On Jan 8, 2006, at 9:12 PM, Michael Allman wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, David Jencks wrote:

>>> Option 1 is not really a workable option for me because the
>>> connection definitions support unrelated applications.  I want to
>>> keep them in separate files in separate projects.
>>> I'm attaching a couple of deployment plans.  The resource adapter
>>> I'm deploying is for Sleepycat Software's Berkeley DB XML and can
>>> be found at http://berkeley-dbxml-adapter.dev.java.net/.
>>> The file "dbxml-ra.xml" is supposed to be the "minimal
>>> configuration" plan I deploy with the resource adapter archive
>>> itself.  The file "dbxmltest-env1.xml" is one of the connection
>>> definition configurations. It is my intention that it reference
>>> the resource adapter instance deployed with the "dbxml-ra.xml"
>>> plan.  So I do
>>> java -jar bin/deployer.jar berkeley-dbxml.rar dbxml-ra.xml
>>> and that works.  Then I do
>>> java -jar bin/deployer.jar dbxmltest-env1.xml
>>> and that fails with
>>> Error: Unable to distribute dbxmltest-env1.xml: Cannot deploy the
>>>     requested application module
>>>     (planFile=dbxmltest-env1.xml)
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I pretty much completely misunderstood what you were trying to do.
>> To deploy a j2ee artifact you always need both the j2ee artifact
>> and (for a connector anyway) the plan.  So (except for the trick
>> explained below) you need to follow (3) exactly as stated.
>>
>> What I had was a situation where one application used 6 different
>> resource adapters that happened to have identical class jars
>> inside, and where I needed to end up with only one copy of each
>> class in the application.  In order to do that I had to make a
>> chain of the 6 resource adapters so only the classes from the
>> first were actually used, even though there were separate
>> classloaders for each rar.
>>
>> One trick we have that you might find useful is the ability to add
>> modules to an ear plan, even though the module is not included in
>> the ear itself.  In fact you can make a "virtual ear" entirely out
>> of external modules.  That way you can get the db plan in with the
>> rest of your app without physically including the rar in your
>> ear.  Some examples are the daytrader configs (starting with an
>> ear) and the uddi-server configs (starting with just a war and
>> creating a "virtual ear")
>
> I started looking into the daytrader app you mentioned.  I think I
> found its deployed instance in config-store/28, but it looks like
> it bundles the activemq and tranql resource adapters under the
> TradeDataSource and TradeJMS subdirectories, respectively.  Are you
> saying they don't need to be there, that they could be referenced
> from the daytrader app somehow?

They are added by the configuration building process, the
simplification is that you don't need to include the rars in your ear
yourself.  We are thinking about a way to make it so deploying a j2ee
artifact does not copy any of it into the configuration but refers to
it in some form in the repository, but this will require at least a
new classloader and perhaps unpacking the nested jars into a flat
structure.

> I couldn't find the ear deployment plan either.  Is that
> recoverable from config.ser somehow, or am I looking in the wrong
> place?

configs/daytrader-jetty/src/plan/plan.xml  Note that dependencies and
parents (imports) are from the marked dependencies in project.xml.  I
would rather project.xml was derived from the plan, but I don't think
that will ever be possible :-) and it is certainly IMO better to have
the dependencies listed in only one place.

thanks
david jencks