geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Qingtian Wang <qingtian.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to keep the server process alive on Fedora Linux
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:14:27 GMT
512M RAM, and 1G disk swap.

Geronino has been on for 3 days now. The system monitor GUI tool says
284M ram is used, and no (zero) swap is used. Hard to see how this
could suddenly run out of memory. Could a lot of current access to a
web app cause memory hop?

I only have one very simple web app hosted. And other than Geronimo, I
don't have much going on with this old PC (Pentium 3, 400MHz).

Puzzled....

Qingtian

> Looks like you ran out of process memory.  How big is your swap file?
>
> Qingtian Wang wrote:
> > Thanks, I got it in "messages"!!!
> >
> > -----------
> > Jan 19 06:39:04 localhost kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 28274 (java).
> > -----------
> >
> > Well, now at least I know it's some memory issue. I wonder whether
> > this means the OS runs out of memory, or just the Java VM.
> >
> > Here's what I see in the geronimo console about "Server Info":
> >
> > --------------
> > Kernel
> > Kernel Boot Time      Thu Jan 19 20:52:34 CST 2006
> > Kernel Up Time
> > 3 days 37 minutes 12 seconds
> >

> > JVM
> > Java Version  1.4.2_10
> > Java Vendor   Sun Microsystems Inc.
> > Node  localhost/127.0.0.1
> > Current Memory Used
> > 37.89 MB
> > Most Memory Used
> > 39.93 MB
> > Total Memory Allocated
> > 63.56 MB
> > Available Processors  1
> >
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Does this mean, when the memory demanded to run the apps in the
> > container exceeds the "total allocated", the VM dies by itself, or OS
> > kills the Java process because memory is out for the entire OS? (I
> > have 512M ram, and 2G disk swap on this Linux PC.)
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> > Qingtian
> >

> > On 1/22/06, Matt Hogstrom <matt@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> >
> >>/var/log/messages I think unless GC is different.

The process is

wrote:

> [...]
still be running but is

started, the server runs