geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Calvin Austin <>
Subject Re: geronimo 1.0 and jdk1.5
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:29:31 GMT
The release states 1.4.2 because of the SSL/CORBA api change issue, if
you search on the dev list for those terms you will see the thread.
Hopefully this can be resolved in the future. One possibility is due to
the fact that the Sun JDK 5 JVM introduced more jvm heap tuning and
rightsizing. One issue a colleague had during testing our builds was
that the permanent generation (reflective data for loaded classes) can
be exhausted. Although your application may be small geronimo has its
own classes too. The out of error memory will tell you if perm gen was
the issue, to workaround that

-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

If you are on linux you can run jmap -heap <your java process id> and it
will tell you the permgen and other gc sizes.
I was using JDK 5 when I wrote my article

Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert wrote:

> Are there known issues with running Geronimo 1.0 and jdk1.5?
> On deploying a small application it more often than not will hang on
> not enough memory.  Deploying the same application when using jdk
> 1.4.2 has no issues.  I can see in the release notes that it says you
> should use jdk 1.4.2_*, rather than a jdk greater than 1.4.2.  I can
> see many people on the list using jdk1.5 and am wondering what the
> issue might be?
> Thanks,
> Thor HW

View raw message