geronimo-user mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo JVM Configuration Portlet
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:41:39 GMT
The geronimo.sh/bat startup script will execute a setenv.sh/bat file if
it is present.  See the comments at the bottom of the comment header for
geronimo.sh/bat.

For example, the setenv.sh/bat files can set the GERONIMO_OPTS
environment variable to change the JVM options.

We would want to avoid having two places that JVM options are configured
as that would be confusing and make Geronimo more difficult to support.

Maybe the console could have a page that allows you to add/update/delete
environment variables, which results in the appropriate modifications to
the setenv.sh and setenv.bat files.  It would need to be careful with
updating/deleting environment variables, as a user may have inserted
some logic in the script before the environment variable is set (or the
environment variable could be in a number of places in the script due to
logic).  Maybe the console would need to detect whether the script has
anything other than the simple setting of environment variables and if
so, prevents you from editing it from the console.

It would be interesting to hear from others whether they think it is a
security issue allowing the console to edit bat/sh startup script files
(could malicious commands be inserted into the startup scripts).

John