geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: transaction behaviour
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:54:07 GMT

On Jan 20, 2006, at 2:22 AM, Ueberbach, Michael wrote:

> hello matt,
>
> It seems so as if I have found a solution to the problem. I
> undeployed the used connection pool for the Oracle database and
> deployed it again this time not using the console but the command
> line tool.
> In the deployment plan I explicitly set the option
> CommitBeforeAutocommit to true (which seems not to be the default
> using the console). Using this connection pool new created entities
> will be persisted at once (as happens when using the pool for MySQL).

I am continually amazed at the oracle drivers.

> The documentation says about this the following:
> "If the JDBC driver does not commit pending work when setAutoCommit
> (true) is called, then this should be set to true to work around
> that. It's always safest to set it
> to true, but the performance is better for JDBC-compliant drivers
> when this is set to false"
>
> Are there any concrete experiences referring to the last point
> (performance) ?

It's based on theory, which may be flawed: it's possible my analysis
is wrong:

if setAutoCommit(true) results in a commit in the db, it must have
sent a message to the db.  Commit also has to send a message to the
db.  So, for a compliant driver, commit followed by setAutoCommit
(true) is 2 messages rather than the one for setAutoCommit(true).

I suppose it's possible that the client side of the driver could
track that no work happened between the commit and the setAutoCommit
call and not send a message on setAutoCommit(true).

> By the way: as far as I can see geronimo works very fine and fast.
> (creating 1000 entities consumes about 2200 ms using connection to
> MySQL, against Oracle the time is varying between 3500 and 10000
> ms, but that may be blamed on the network)

Always nice to hear good things!

Thanks
david jencks