geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: deploying a resource adapter (fwd)
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:50:56 GMT

On Jan 8, 2006, at 8:12 PM, Michael Allman wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On Jan 8, 2006, at 7:38 PM, Michael Allman wrote:
>>
>>> I'm developing said resource adapter, and when I rebuild it I
>>> would like to redeploy it once and have all the connection
>>> factories use the new archive.
>>> I've tried doing this with configurations that reference the
>>> configId of the resource adapter as the parentId.  I only get a
>>> cryptic error message from the deployer.
>>
>> that ought to work, I've done it with a chain of about 6 resource
>> adapters that share classes.  However I think option 1 will be by
>> far the most convenient for you.
>
> Option 1 is not really a workable option for me because the
> connection definitions support unrelated applications.  I want to
> keep them in separate files in separate projects.
>
> I'm attaching a couple of deployment plans.  The resource adapter
> I'm deploying is for Sleepycat Software's Berkeley DB XML and can
> be found at http://berkeley-dbxml-adapter.dev.java.net/.
>
> The file "dbxml-ra.xml" is supposed to be the "minimal
> configuration" plan I deploy with the resource adapter archive
> itself.  The file "dbxmltest-env1.xml" is one of the connection
> definition configurations. It is my intention that it reference the
> resource adapter instance deployed with the "dbxml-ra.xml" plan.
> So I do
>
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar berkeley-dbxml.rar dbxml-ra.xml
>
> and that works.  Then I do
>
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar dbxmltest-env1.xml
>
> and that fails with
>
> Error: Unable to distribute dbxmltest-env1.xml: Cannot deploy the
>     requested application module
>     (planFile=dbxmltest-env1.xml)
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I pretty much completely misunderstood what you were trying to do. To
deploy a j2ee artifact you always need both the j2ee artifact and
(for a connector anyway) the plan.  So (except for the trick
explained below) you need to follow (3) exactly as stated.

What I had was a situation where one application used 6 different
resource adapters that happened to have identical class jars inside,
and where I needed to end up with only one copy of each class in the
application.  In order to do that I had to make a chain of the 6
resource adapters so only the classes from the  first were actually
used, even though there were separate classloaders for each rar.

One trick we have that you might find useful is the ability to add
modules to an ear plan, even though the module is not included in the
ear itself.  In fact you can make a "virtual ear" entirely out of
external modules.  That way you can get the db plan in with the rest
of your app without physically including the rar in your ear.  Some
examples are the daytrader configs (starting with an ear) and the
uddi-server configs (starting with just a war and creating a "virtual
ear")

thanks
david jencks