geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <>
Subject Running SPECjAppServer2004
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:57:39 GMT
Hello, all.

I see the following OEJP error when trying to start the
SPECjAppServer2004 on Geronimo 1.0 M5:

javax.naming.AuthenticationException: Cannot read the response from the
server (OEJP/2.0) : null; nested exception is:
	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.spec.jappserver.driver.Driver.configure(
	at org.spec.jappserver.driver.Driver.<init>(
	at org.spec.jappserver.driver.Driver.main(

Has anybody tried to run SPECjAppServer2004 on Geronimo and/or seen an
issue similar to this? If yes, have you encountered this problem, and
have you got past it?  Any advise as to what I should try next would be

Additional detail follows.

I'm trying to deploy and run SPECjAppServer2004 benchmark
( on Geronimo 1.0 M5 using built-in
Derby database.

I've generally followed the SPECjAppServer2004 deployment guide and
started with downloading Matt Hogstrom's deployment descriptors from

I had to make some changes to the descriptors though to make them deploy

1. Application parentId="org/apache/geronimo/Server" instead of

2. All database references rewritten:

   replaced with:

   here SPEC is the name of a Derby database I created.

	3. OrdersDataSource renamed to OrdsDataSource.

After these changes I was able to deploy the SPECjAppServer2004 main
application EAR.

Then I installed Tomcat on another (client) machine and deployed
SPECjAppServer2004 Emulator.war file there.

Then I tried to run the SPECjAppServer2004 Driver on the same client
machine - as per SPECjAppServer2004 documentation the Emulator and the
Driver must run on a machine other than the one Geronimo is running on.

The Driver connected to Emulator/Tomcat successfuly, and also located
Geronimo, but couldn't connect to deployed SPECjAppServer2004 beans, due
to a problem with OpenEJB shown above.

I also already described that problem in this list in detail in my
postings under "JNDI remote authentication problem" subject. I overcome
first of the problems successfuly (with a help from John Sisson), but
the second problem (shown above) stopped me completely.

Thank you.

With best regards,
   Vasily Zakharov, Intel Managed Runtime Division

View raw message