geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Packaging GBeans and dependencies
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:30:33 GMT

On Dec 6, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to package a set of gbeans with its
> dependencies, and have not found any so far.
> From what i understand, the configuration can refer to jars (with the
> dependency tag) that are stored in
> the repository, but i have not found any way for these jars to be
> added at deployment time,
> or to refer to jars that would be deployed with the configuration (and
> not refering to the repository).
>
> My main goal is to be able to deploy the whole configuration
> (including the dependencies) in a
> single command using the deployer and to avoid manually copying all
> the dependencies to the repository.
>
> I'm quite sure i have missed something.  Can someone please tell me
> the best way to achieve this ?

If you are using maven 1, perhaps the packaging and assembly plugins
will work for you.  With the packaging plugin, you can specify the
dependencies in your project.xml file and they get inserted into the
plan before deployment.  It puts the car file into your local maven
repo.  The assembly plugin installs a car file from the maven repo into
a geronimo server, and also copies all the dependencies into the
server's repository.  I'm working on command line versions of these
tools, although I'm not sure how soon they will be usable.

Another possibility is to use the "include" option which copies the
contents of all the dependencies so marked into the car file.  This may
be what you want but is AFAIK 100% untested.

For examples of how to do this stuff look in the configs and assemblies
directories.  This is how the server will be built in the near future.

thanks
david jencks