Lin,
They represent different possible web container configurations. In a fresh M5 archive download (i.e. zip/tar.gz, not the installer), you should find 4 xml files in var/config:

config.xml -- this is the config file which will be used when starting the server
config.both.xml -- sample config settings for both jetty and tomcat
config.tomcat.xml -- sample config settings for tomcat only
config.jetty.xml -- sample config settings for jetty only

For example, to switch to a jetty-only configuration, copy 'config.jetty.xml' to 'config.xml', and start your server.

--kevan