geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Enlisting XAResource objects
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:10:11 GMT

On Nov 23, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Guglielmo.Lichtner@instinet.com wrote:

> I have a home-grown resource manager (XAResource implementation) which
> I would like enlist in a transaction.
> I see two ways of doing this:
>
> 1) Write a JCA resource adapter, since the app server has to enlist
> the xa resource for the connection.
>
> 2) Create a geronimo "configuration" which has a reference to the
> transaction manager gbean, then grab
> the javax.transaction.Transaction object from that and call the
> enlist- method.
>
> Does anybody care to comment on 1 vs. 2 ?

It's hard to judge without knowing more about what your RM actually
does.  If it has anything resembling connections that would be helped
with a connection pool, I would strongly recommend writing a resource
adapter.  Its pretty easy, you can base it on tranql-connector code,
etc etc and it will save you a lot of work trying to relate to the TM
properly.  If it really doesn't have anything like connections, then I
don't think it makes sense to write a RA.  In this case before I start
giving advice I'd like to know more about how your application gets in
touch with the RM and tells it to do something and how you envisage
enlist/delist to work.

thanks
david jencks