geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Introduction and Question
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:22:13 GMT

On Nov 11, 2005, at 6:56 PM, Jian Liao wrote:

> Hi,
> J2 Final is going to release soon, I would like to integrate it with
> Geronimo. The progress that I made on last week include ( Thanks for
> David Jencks ):
> 1. Package J2 into ear file.
> 2. Deploy it to geronimo successfully.
> 3. J2 engine startup successfully(both jetty and tomcat 5.5.9).
>
> The issues that need to be resolved:
> 1. Integrate J2 security with geronimo security gbean.

Do you have a reference for any j2 security documentation?  It should
be easy to deploy a login module provided with j2 in geronimo.    From
that you can map principals to roles using a standard geronimo security
configuration.  However I seem to recall that j2 has its own portlet
security framework that involves access to the Subject.  I might be
able to suggest a way to integrate this if I knew more about it :-).
> 2. Classloader confliction issues(Springframework, Jdom)

This __ought__ to be moderately simple to resolve by careful use of
geronimo dependencies  and configuration parents.  More details would
be helpful.
> 3. Portlet application auto-deploy issue.

This is apt to be more difficult, since the geronimo model is I believe
rather different from what I think J2 is doing.  For Jetty,  we process
every web artifact (servlet, filter, filter mapping etc.) into a gbean
whose configuration is stored in a binary configuration object.  This
can then be started with no further deployment steps.  (the tomcat
process still involves some runtime deployment activity).   I'm not
quite sure how J2 relates portlets to servlets.  To fit Pluto into this
model, we would configure a gbean for each portlet that would be a
servlet wrapping the portlet.  If j2 uses a different model, such as
deploying the portlets as spring components, we would ideally do
something like configuring a gbean that would register the appropriate
component with spring.

Again, if you can point me to some J2 documentation for what the deploy
process does, I might be able to offer some more concrete suggestions.

thanks
david jencks