geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Guglielmo.Licht...@instinet.com
Subject Re: Multiple geronimo instances with little disk usage
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:54:39 GMT
For now I am okay. My build.xml makes a new copy of geronimo first, then
overwrites the config.xml.

Although I must say this makes Geronimo's installation much more rigid
than Tomcat's, or even WebLogic.

David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>
11/30/2005 03:29 PM
Please respond to user

        To:     user@geronimo.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Multiple geronimo instances with little disk usage

On Nov 30, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Guglielmo.Lichtner@instinet.com wrote:

> I have thought some more about this issue and I want to propose
> something.
>
> The distribution has the following main directories, size shown in
> kilobytes:
>
> bin 32
>  config-store 30124
>  doc 224
>  doc/plan 220
>  lib 3544
>  lib/endorsed 1084
>  lib/ext 4
>  repository 43596
>  schema 624
>  var 2896
>  var/catalina 108
>  var/config 64
>  var/derby 1740
>  var/ldap 4
>  var/log 916
>  var/security 24
>  var/txlog 36
>
> On a linux box with several developers, it appears to me from playing
> with Geronimo that each developer
> only needs these:
>
> config-store 30124
>  var 2896
>  var/catalina 108
>  var/config 64
>  var/derby 1740
>  var/ldap 4
>  var/log 916
>  var/security 24
>  var/txlog 36
>
> The rest could be stored in one place, e.g. /usr/local/geronimo.
>
> For this to work you could set a property, e.g.
>
> -Dgeronimo.base=~/dev/geronimo_instance
>
> And as a default for geronimo.base you can use bin/..
>
> Your thoughts on this?

I think you can get 90% of the benefit of this proposal with almost no
change to geronimo by simply using a local maven repository for the
geronimo repository.  I think we could make this easy to set up by
including a second repository gbean normally disabled pointing to the
maven repo.  Or we could supply a server set up for this.

thanks
david jencks

> [...]
>
>  Does anyone have a good idea how to make this work with only a single
>  set of configurations?  one possibility would be to have ServerInfo
>  know where the var directory is, all gbeans that use var ask
> ServerInfo
>  where it is, and have ServerInfo read it from a system property.  Then
>  you could set the var location on the command line.  You can already
>  set the config.xml on the command line, although this might not be
>  needed if the var location could be set.  The only disadvantage I've
>  thought of with this plan is that it builds the concept of the var
>  directory into geronimo in a much more fundamental way than it is now.
>
>  thanks
>  david jencks
>

>  On Nov 24, 2005, at 11:11 AM, Guglielmo.Lichtner@instinet.com wrote:
>
>  >
>  > I would like to do this:
>  >
>  > 1) Unpack the geronimo distribution under /usr/local/geronimo (say)
>  > and make it read-only.
>  >
>  > 2) Create many small _instances_ of geronimo running on all
> different
>  > (sets of) ports, on the same machine.
>  > I would like the _code_ to be in one place, but the configurations
> of
>  > the instances to all be different.
>  >
>  > Basically a lot like tomcat.
>  >
>  > Thanks
>  > Guglielmo
>  >
>  >
>  >  *****************************************************************
>  >  <<>>
>  >
>  >  In compliance with applicable rules and regulations, Instinet
>  >  reviews and archives incoming and outgoing email communications,
>  >  copies of which may be produced at the request of regulators.
>  >  This message is intended only for the personal and confidential
>  >  use of the recipients named above. If the reader of this email
>  >  is not the intended recipient, you have received this email in
>  >  error and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is
>  >  strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
>  >  please notify the sender immediately by return email and
>  >  permanently delete the copy you received.
>  >
>  >  Instinet accepts no liability for any content contained in the
>  >  email, or any errors or omissions arising as a result of email
>  >  transmission. Any opinions contained in this email constitute
>  >  the sender's best judgment at this time and are subject to change
>  >  without notice. Instinet does not make recommendations of a
>  >  particular security and the information contained in this email
>  >  should not be considered as a recommendation, an offer or a
>  >  solicitation of an offer to buy and sell securities.

<<<Disclaimer>>>