geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating EAR artifact from WebSphere to WASCE
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:01:27 GMT

On Nov 24, 2005, at 9:01 PM, Siraj Mohamed wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> I am not using Geronimo-application.xml but this is my
> openejb-jar.xml's
> header block.
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <openejb-jar xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar"
> configId="ejb-RXMeta"
> parentId="org/apache/geronimo/Server">
>

> Please note that I was able to test my hello world ejb sample on WASCE
> successfully and I do not see such exceptions.
>
> As you suggested, I tried to deploy through command-line and it seems
> it
> gives me a descriptive exception like:
>
> Error: Unable to distribute RXMeta.ear: Unable to initialize
>  EJBContainer GBean: ejbNameImportService
>
>      com/xmeta/client/ServiceClientException
>

> It seems that this class not found in the classpath. But I have many
> supporting JARs to my RXMeta.ear application and I have copied them all
> into lib\endorsed of WASCE. That's the way we do on WebSphere (copying
> them into lib\ext folder). It looks like it doesn't picking up.
>

> Would you suggest a better way of handling supported JARs to my
> application at deployment time other than I bundle all my JARs to the
> EAR?

The "geronimo way" to do this is with dependencies in your application
deployment plan.

First, decide where in the geronimo repository your jars should go.
For instance, if they are produced by virtusa, they would go in
virtusa/jars/.  It is best to label the jars with a version number, so
you might end up with a jar

${GERONIMO_HOME}/repository/virtusa/jars/MyJar-1.0.jar

Next, write an application plan to include your dependencies and the
openejb-jar plan (I am assuming that you are in fact deploying an ear,
not just an ejb jar file).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--

     Copyright 2004-2005 The Apache Software Foundation

     Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
     you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
     You may obtain a copy of the License at

     WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied.
     limitations under the License.
-->

<!-- $Rev: 47568 $ $Date: 2004-09-30 01:21:54 -0700 (Thu, 30 Sep 2004)
$ -->

<application
     xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-1.0"
     configId="RXMeta"
   parentId="org/apache/geronimo/Server"

<dependency>
     <groupId>virtusa</groupId>
     <artifactId>MyJar</artifactId>
     <version>1.0</version>
</dependency>

     <module>
         <ejb>ejb-RXMeta</ejb>
        <openejb-jar xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar"
         configId="ejb-RXMeta"

(the rest of your ejb plan here)
     </module>

</application>

You can include as many dependency elements as you need.  The jars
listed in the dependencies will be in your application's classloader,
but not available to any other applications (unless they also list them
as dependencies or use your application as a parent).

You can either include the plan in the ear file or, as I prefer, keep
it separate.  If you wish to use the hot deployer you need to include
the plan in the ear.

Thanks
david jencks