geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Deploying exploded WAR's
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:04:08 GMT

On Oct 23, 2005, at 11:32 PM, Barry van Someren wrote:

> David,
>
> My experience with persistance in webapps has been with using
> databases.
> I recently ran into a JSP based Wiki that uses flat files (most likely
> in the working directory) to persist data.
>
> Now I remember that back at my old company we used Tomcat for a
> project and it would let you add files to the working directory that
> would persist between runs.
> When you used JBoss, it wouldn't (and I reasoned that it's fair from a
> security point of view)
> So I'm kind of asking how Geronimo handles this and what is the best
> way of persisting if you insist on flat files.

Well, I would avoid having your application save anything in its own
unpacked directory at all costs: this is just asking for trouble, for
instance, when you deploy the next upgrade :-).

I recommend creating a subdirectory under var (e.g. var/myAppData).
Unfortunately AFAIK finding this at runtime is a bit involved.

private static final ObjectName SERVER_INFO =
ObjectName.getInstance("geronimo.server:
J2EEApplication=null,J2EEModule=org/apache/geronimo/
System,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo");

Kernel kernel = KernelRegistry.getSingleKernel();
File dir = (FIle)kernel.invoke(SERVER_INFO, "resolve", new Object[]
{"var/myAppData"}, new String[] {String.class.getName()});

There might be an easier way to get this but I don't know what it is.

It would be nice to provide a better way :-)  Perhaps we could write a
URLHandler that would resolve for us?  serverinfo://var/myAppData  Any
other ideas?

thanks
david jencks