geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connectors -- SQLLoginModule...
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:41:50 GMT
Hi -
Unless Geronimo provides a method of accessing the SystemDatabase from
you code (I have not researched this) you may find as I did that you
need to setup a separate Derby database and connector to achieve what
you are trying to do (probelm listed in user-post  "Using the Derby
Network Server.."  from 7/28/2005 ).  I do not know if accessing another
database is possible when using the  LoginModuleGBean but, if this seems
like an option then you might find the configuration of the Derby
connector I documented helpful - it is pretty straight forward:
http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/JPetStoreGeronimo.html

One thing I noticed is that your are using the EmbeddedDriver
(org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver) and Geronimo runs Network Server
to access the SystemDatabase.  I believe either of the Client Drivers
should work (com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver or
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver) if you can get your code run in the
same environment as the Network Server and have the correct host and
port information.  I did not resolve this problem and have not yet had
time to follow up on it with a developer list post.

To construct the database connection URL you will also need to know what
port the Network Server is listening on.  I was unsuccessful using the
default hostname and port when I attempted to ping the Geronimo
NetworkServer.  Also be aware that Geronimo defines derby.system.home in
the server JVM thus limiting the default location for Derby databases,
derby.log and the derby.properties file.

Hope this helps - I am interested in seeing what you find out.  My
background is with Derby and I am very interested in learning about the
different J2EE configurations that can be used with Derby.