Hi Paul,
By my reading of your exception stack trace, you are deploying a Web Module which does not implement javax.servlet.Servlet and does not contain a webservices.xml description. IMO, there's a bug (the NullPointerException) which is preventing you from getting this more descriptive Exception:

    throw new DeploymentException("No web service deployment info for servlet name " + servletName);

If a "servlet" is not a javax.servlet.Servlet, Geronimo is going to require a webservices.xml to be defined.

Make any sense? If not, you'll need to tell us a bit more about your Web Modules.

--kevan