I'm not sure why you're asking, but generally speaking you don't need to set a variable to null to allow it to be garbage collected (though of course you do need to step referencing it from active objects, and setting things to null may under some circumstances help with that).  However, the JVM has special handling for String objects so if you create a bunch and then let them go you won't necessarily recover all the memory immediately as you might expect.

What does this have to do with Geronimo?

Aaron