geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: geronimo-jetty.xml file not found
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:07:21 GMT
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Jason Lenhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on some demo applications.  Granted I am
> very 'Green' to Geronimo but I have a couple of
> issues:
>
> 1)  Downloaded and Installed (did not do the build
> from source path, just downloaded 1.0-M4 tar.gz).
> Unpacked it and try to just start it up using:
>
> java -jar bin/server.jar
>
> It appears to start up just fine.  I made the
> assumption that if I went to http://localhost:8080 I
> would see something.  Should I?

	Usually you see a relatively blank 404-ish page but it says it's
going to list the contexts known to the server and then if there are any
web apps deployed it should list them.  We would like to have a better
welcome page but haven't gotten around to it yet.  :)

> 2)  So I went ahead and attempted to deploy a war file
> from my Struts distribution.  I use struts-blank.war
> that comes with the dist.  So I killed, through my
> process monitor the vm I started earlier and did the
> following:
>
> java -jar bin/deployer.jar distribute struts-blank.war
>
> What I get is:
>
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: JAR entry
> WEB-INF/geronimo-jetty.xml not found
>
> And then it shuts down the kernel.

	Do you get that message on the client side or the server side?  Is
it a WARN message?  If it's a WARN message on the server side then I
believe you can ignore it as it's simply incorrect (it happens if you
don't have a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml in your WAR, which of course you
wouldn't for a WAR like you're using).  In any case, if the server is
running, you should use "deploy" instead of "distribute" and that will
actually start the web app (instead of sending it to the server but
leaving it in the "stopped" state).

> Now I am new to this and as such I am taking the
> approach that I know people in my company would take
> in looking at Geronimo.  I would like to create some
> docs around how to "Get Up and Running in 2 minutes"
> type of documentation.  Any help is appreciated.

	You can also try:

java -jar bin/deployer.jar start org/apache/geronimo/DebugConsole

	and then visit

http://localhost:8080/debug-tool/

	It's not a terribly useful web app but it should prove that the
server is running.  :)

Aaron