geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: GBeans threading best practices
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:34:54 GMT
On Aug 3, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Miguel A Paraz wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm planning on writing my own GBeans to implement services.
>
> Is it OK to start new Threads - using new Thread() directly, or
> indirectly by using util.concurrent facilities which I see in the
> code?

You can start threads directly, but it is preferrable to use a
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.Executor.  The best practice is to
have the Executor inject via constructor injection or setter
injection.  This allows a user of your service to have complete
control the properties of the thread pool.

> Geronimo won't know about them and it's up to the GBean to shut them
> down in doStop().

Yes

-dain