geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo disk footprint growth at startup
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:52:54 GMT

On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> ActiveMQ doesn't use HOWL.  Hiram wrote a transaction log
> customized and tuned for the access patterns of JMS.
>
> Hiram, we have been having a discussion about how the Geronimo disk
> footprint grows by 40MB when started up.  Can you give Dave, Bruce
> and myself some insight on why the logs are the size they are, how
> much they can grow, and what attributes are available to configure
> this?

Hi Dain,

By default we use 2 x 20 meg journal files.
The logs need to hold a good working set of the in flight persistent
messages that are flowing through the system.  It's optimum if
message that was written to the log file is held long enough so that
ack for that message can be written to the log file (basically before
we checkpoint the message to the jdbc store).  that allows us to
avoid moving most of the messages that are flowing through the system
to jdbc which is quite slow by comparison.

And since activemq supports moving allot of msg/sec and the message
can be quite large, 2 x 20 meg log files is a quite conservative
setting.  Now if your not using JMS at all, I would guess that's too
much!

Regards,
Hiram

> Thanks,
>
> -dain
>
> On Aug 18, 2005, at 8:21 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>

>> On 8/18/05, Dave Colasurdo <davecola@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hmmm.. The only entries in j2ee-server-plan.xml that seems
>>> relevant is
>>> the HOWLTransactionLog gbean and it specifies the file
>>> var/txlog/howl*.log.   Changing/distributing the changed properties
>>> associated with this gBean either have no effect on the
>>> var/activemq/journal/log*.dat or cause the server startup to fail...
>>>
>>> However, in the plan system-activemq-plan.xml.. I found the
>>> following
>>> gbean for the journal that seems to define the journal directory
>>> though
>>> have found no properties to control the size of the log-000*.dat
>>> file.
>>>
>>> <gbean name="ActiveMQ.journal"
>>> class="org.activemq.store.journal.JournalPersistenceAdapterGBean">
>>>          <!--TODO change to ServerInfo -->
>>>          <reference
>>> name="serverInfo"><module>org/apache/geronimo/System</
>>>          <attribute name="directory">var/activemq/journal</
>>> attribute>
>>>          <attribute name="journalType">default</attribute>
>>>          <reference
>>> name="longTermPersistence"><gbean-
>>> name>geronimo.server:j2eeType=JMSPersistence,name=ActiveMQ.jdbc,*</g