geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What am I doing wrong? EJB Deployment Errors
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:28:44 GMT
Geronimo (at least theoretically) includes anything you have in the
manifest classpath... but IIUC this requires you to be deploying an ear
rather than a standalone ejb module.  Are you deploying an ear and does
the ejb jar include the correct manifest classpath entry for your
ejb-client jar?  If so, we probably have a bug.  Showing the ear
structure and the ejb jar manifest classpath would be helpful.

thanks
david jencks

On Jul 10, 2005, at 5:04 PM, nirving@darkedges.com wrote:

> Okay, it seems that there are two trains of thought on how to generate
> an EJB
> jar file. The spec says this (Page 557 of EJB 2.1 Final Release)
>
> "The EJB specification does not specify whether an ejb-jar file should
> include
> by copy or by reference the classes that are in an ejb-client JAR
> file, but
> they must be included either one way or the other. If the by-copy
> approach is
> used, the producer simply includes all the class files in the
> ejb-client JAR
> file also in the ejb-jar file. If the by-reference approach is used,
> the
> ejb-jar file producer does not duplicate the content of the ejb-client
> JAR file
> in the ejb-jar file, but instead uses a Manifest Class-Path entry in
> the
> ejb-jar file to specify that the ejb-jar file depends on the
> ejb-client JAR at
> runtime. The use of the Class-Path entries in the JAR files is
> explained in the
> Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition specification"
>

> It appears that Eclipse WTP (this generated the EJB Jar for me) is
> using the
> by-reference approach and Geronimo is reliant on the by-copy approach.
> So who
> is right? Either way it seems that both are correct, so surely
> Geronimo needs
> to be able to support both methods?

IIUC we think we do :-)

> Perhaps I will raise this with Eclipse WTP, as I believe this should
> be an
> option there to generate code correct for the platform you are building
> against, or perhaps the option is there and I am misunderstanding.
> There
> appears to be a number of problems with their tutorials that has lead
> to this
> problem arising.

I would think they would want to support both.

> Should I sending these problems to the developler list in future?
I think the user list is fine until we are sure we have a problem.

thanks!
david jencks