geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: access a BLOB coloumn from a CMP EJB
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:33:57 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Gianny, Jeremy,
>>
>> I got it! Apparently, the problem was on my site. I actually loaded
>> the Blobs (images) directly via the PhpMyAdmin Gui (there is a file
>> upload function) and then tried to access these blob fields via the
>> EJB. To dig into my problem I tried the
>> org.openejb.test.entity.cmp2.StorageTests on MySQL and this worked. So
>> I ended up updating my blob fields via the EJB (loading the files via
>> the EJB rather than PhpMyAdmin ) and  now it works! Seems like the
>> PhpMyAdmin does something with the blob that Java doesn't like...
>>

> I think its the other way around - I am guessing that PhpMyAdmin is
> inserting the bytes directly but when you use the EJB it is Serializing
> the array and writing the serialized data stream.
>
> When the EJB tries to read the bytes inserted by PhpMyAdmin it gets the
> raw data rather than the bytes for ObjectInputStream and is raising an
> error.
>
> I think this is a bug as we should be able to support the raw data
> format correctly - we need to play nice with other applications.

I updated the OpenEJB itest to check that the data stored in the column
was what was being passed to the accessor i.e. that is it not bing
Serialized. I added a new binding to TranQL (1.1-SNAPSHOT) to make this
test work so I think you will now be able to mix access between your
admin tool and the EJB.

This will require an update to use OpenEJB HEAD (2.0-SNAPSHOT) and
TranQL HEAD (1.1-SNAPSHOT)

--
Jeremy