On Jun 7, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

This health reporting system you describe seems to be a worthwhile project and should shed some light on how this syndication service could be structured and integrated with. I am thinking of leveraging Geronimo's support for JMX to generate the content for these feeds. Let me know if you know of a more appropriate mechanism to do this type of system introspection.

I'd just say try to get this working in Geronimo as a GBean serving dummy data, and then I'll help you get a hook directly into the Geronimo kernel.  From the kernel you can access everything without having to code against ugly JMX apis.  Also JMX is an optional add-on for Geronimo so it is best not to tie yourself to it.

I found some time this weekend to get started on this.  Should I be looking at the KernelRegistry class as a starting point?

Microsoft has jumped on the RSS bandwagon. I find myself identifying with their perspective on the potential for this technology. Where it makes sense I am considering the possibility of leveraging a spec that Microsoft has proposed for extending RSS to be able to declare a feed as an ordered list and provide meta data that a feed client can use to present syndicated changes to the contents of or ordering of the set of list items. The extensions' spec has been submitted with a Creative Commons license.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/rss/simplefeedextensions
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/rss

In addition to this 'RSS Feed Server' that I will be constructing as a configuration of Geronimo application services, I will also be applying these same syndication services to the development of a client-side 'RSS Application Server' Geronimo configuration which will manage a set of feeds subscribed to run on that client. As opposed to an RSS document that gets viewed in a browser or news reader, an RSS application feed would get served up with a mime type of 'application/rss+xml' when a link to an application feed (subscribe button) is clicked on within a browser. As the RSS application gets started with a subscribe event there would be a matching unsubscribe event a user communicates to the application server that ends the lifecycle of the RSS application. Think of a feed containing described application events instead of articles. Of course there is no reason that an RSS feed server could not reside on the same Geronimo node as an RSS application server in an aggregation or P2P deployment model.

I see podcasting as an example of a class of RSS applications that includes audio feeds, video feeds, and media feeds. An RSS application server running on your laptop could include podcasting services that would automatically install a downloaded audio feed to your iPod or might translate the audio file into a format compatible with your preferred audio player. The next version of iTunes will have this functionality built in so in a certain light it could be seen as an RSS application server. Alternately, an RSS application server running on your MacMini (or any personal media server) could do basically the same thing but stream the audio files over WiFi to your stereo speakers instead of performing the iPod sync to provide for a personal radio station. I also believe that there will be many useful RSS application classes like podcasting that will go beyond the realm of content oriented applications.

Scott