geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Scott Anderson <portlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RSS Syndication and Aggregation
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:56:49 GMT

On Jun 7, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>> This health reporting system you describe seems to be a worthwhile
>> project and should shed some light on how this syndication service
>> could be structured and integrated with. I am thinking of
>> leveraging Geronimo's support for JMX to generate the content for
>> these feeds. Let me know if you know of a more appropriate
>> mechanism to do this type of system introspection.
>>

> I'd just say try to get this working in Geronimo as a GBean serving
> dummy data, and then I'll help you get a hook directly into the
> Geronimo kernel.  From the kernel you can access everything without
> having to code against ugly JMX apis.  Also JMX is an optional add-
> on for Geronimo so it is best not to tie yourself to it.

I found some time this weekend to get started on this.  Should I be
looking at the KernelRegistry class as a starting point?

Microsoft has jumped on the RSS bandwagon. I find myself identifying
with their perspective on the potential for this technology. Where it
makes sense I am considering the possibility of leveraging a spec
that Microsoft has proposed for extending RSS to be able to declare a
feed as an ordered list and provide meta data that a feed client can
use to present syndicated changes to the contents of or ordering of
the set of list items. The extensions' spec has been submitted with a
Creative Commons license.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/rss/
simplefeedextensions
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/rss

In addition to this 'RSS Feed Server' that I will be constructing as
a configuration of Geronimo application services, I will also be
applying these same syndication services to the development of a
client-side 'RSS Application Server' Geronimo configuration which
will manage a set of feeds subscribed to run on that client. As
opposed to an RSS document that gets viewed in a browser or news
reader, an RSS application feed would get served up with a mime type
of 'application/rss+xml' when a link to an application feed
(subscribe button) is clicked on within a browser. As the RSS
application gets started with a subscribe event there would be a
matching unsubscribe event a user communicates to the application
server that ends the lifecycle of the RSS application. Think of a
feed containing described application events instead of articles. Of
course there is no reason that an RSS feed server could not reside on
the same Geronimo node as an RSS application server in an aggregation
or P2P deployment model.

I see podcasting as an example of a class of RSS applications that
includes audio feeds, video feeds, and media feeds. An RSS
application server running on your laptop could include podcasting
services that would automatically install a downloaded audio feed to
your iPod or might translate the audio file into a format compatible
with your preferred audio player. The next version of iTunes will
have this functionality built in so in a certain light it could be
seen as an RSS application server. Alternately, an RSS application
server running on your MacMini (or any personal media server) could
do basically the same thing but stream the audio files over WiFi to
your stereo speakers instead of performing the iPod sync to provide
for a personal radio station. I also believe that there will be many
useful RSS application classes like podcasting that will go beyond
the realm of content oriented applications.

Scott