geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: RSS Syndication and Aggregation
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:50:10 GMT
On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Scott Anderson wrote:

> This health reporting system you describe seems to be a worthwhile
> project and should shed some light on how this syndication service
> could be structured and integrated with. I am thinking of
> leveraging Geronimo's support for JMX to generate the content for
> these feeds. Let me know if you know of a more appropriate
> mechanism to do this type of system introspection.

I'd just say try to get this working in Geronimo as a GBean serving
dummy data, and then I'll help you get a hook directly into the
Geronimo kernel.  From the kernel you can access everything without
having to code against ugly JMX apis.  Also JMX is an optional add-on
for Geronimo so it is best not to tie yourself to it.

> I can see some simple workflow functionality being gradually
> introduced into a system like this. Say the JMX health state or
> statistics indicated some action was required. In this case the
> feed content could include a link into the relevant part of the JMX
> console UI where some suggested actions can be presented for user
> execution.

We could hook this into the yet-to-materialize management console.

> Also, since images can be presented in the contents of RSS/Atom
> feeds there is an opportunity to present the state of the server
> and its services using charts and graphs!

This is going to be very cool!

-dain