geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: deploying minimal web app
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:47:32 GMT

On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:33 AM, Scott Anderson wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
>>> In my first attempt I noticed that Jetty was
> ignoring
>>> the context name I had specified in
>>> META-INF/context.xml and used the name of the war
> file
>>> instead.
>>
>> We ignore all jetty-specific deployment info.
>
> It turns out that this is a Tomcat specific mechanism
> for specifying web app context properties. I had
> thought that this had made it into the servlet spec.
> However, it would be nice if Jetty shared this
> mechanism.
>
>>> Once I figured this out it also appeared that
>>> Jetty was ignoring the welcome file specified in
>>> WEB-INF/web.xml and showing the contents of the war
>>> directory instead.
>>
>> This is very surprising to me.  If you can verify
> this can you open a
>> jira issue with a test case?
>
> I did some further investigation and discovered that
> the welcome file list *is* properly supported if there
> is only one welcome file in the list. I encountered
> the failure when I was testing with a war generated
> from NetBeans default web application template which
> initializes this list with three entries...
>
>     <welcome-file-list>
> 	<welcome-file>
>             index.jsp
>         </welcome-file>
> 	<welcome-file>
>             index.html
>         </welcome-file>
> 	<welcome-file>
>             index.htm
>         </welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>
> ...but only includes an index.jsp file with the war
> that is generated. Let me know if you want me to add
> this issue to JIRA. I have my workaround.

Thanks, I'll look into this.

>> You should look at Gluecode JOE which is
> geronimo/jetty + pluto (+ a
>> management console and some other goodies).
>> [...]
>> I expect integrating pluto with tomcat in geronimo
> would
>> be a fairly major project until the tomcat
> integration is more
>> complete.
>
> I will check out JOE. I eventually want to support
> deploying my stuff on both Tomcat and Jetty.
>
> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> Gluecode integrated and certified Pluto 1.0 with
> Geronimo/Jetty around
>> the M3 timeframe as part of our JOE 1.0 release. All
> the fixes for that
>> were contributed back to Pluto so it should work.
> You do need to use the
>> context based registry (not the one that scans the
> webapp directory) -
>> sorry the name eludes me right now.
>

> The biggest issues that have been recently biting the
> Pluto team have been related to Tomcat's
> implementation of cross context support for the portal
> driver war and portlet wars. This functionality lets
> portlets access shared portlet sessions and contexts.
> How would I turn on a web app context's crossContext
> behavior in the Geronimo/Jetty or JOE environments? If
> I can get this behavior to work and determine what
> Jetty directory I need to install Pluto's libraries so
> that the contents of the jars can be shared by the
> portal driver war and the portlet wars...the
> equivalent of Tomcat's shared/lib directory...I think
> I will be in good shape for moving forward on Jetty.

Cross context sessions are hard to get to work right, but I think we
have them working properly in geronimo/jetty with pluto.  I'm not sure
I understand what you are asking for here.  My understanding of the
servlet spec is that it is absolutely prohibited that the portal share
a session with a portlet application, or that any 2 portlet
applications share a session.  On the other hand, for a "user visible"
session id, it must be possible for multiple portlet applications and
the portal to each have separate sessions that to the user appear to be
  keyed by the user visible session id.  IIRC the somewhat surprising
requirement for this to work, which is not mentioned in any spec I
could find, is that if one app destroys its sessions, all sessions with
the same "user visible"  session id must be destroyed at the same time.
  Is this what you are asking for?

thanks
david jencks

>> I am very interested in getting 1.1 to work but just
> haven't managed to
>> get to it - is that the version you were thinking of
> using?
>
> I have been working with the Pluto 1.1 code for some
> time now. It was not a hard decision for me to bypass
> supporting the 1.0.1 implementation.

Would be great to get pluto 1.1 support!