geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: deploying minimal web app
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:06:58 GMT

On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Scott Anderson wrote:

> I built a minimal war and ran into deployment issues
> with both Jetty and Tomcat...
>
> Jetty
> -----
> In my first attempt I noticed that Jetty was ignoring
> the context name I had specified in
> META-INF/context.xml and used the name of the war file
> instead.

We ignore all jetty-specific deployment info.

> Once I figured this out it also appeared that
> Jetty was ignoring the welcome file specified in
> WEB-INF/web.xml and showing the contents of the war
> directory instead.
This is very surprising to me.  If you can verify this can you open a
jira issue with a test case?

> I noticed in the wiki that there is
> an additional descriptor, geronimo-jetty.xml, that I
> might need to support. I tried this and also
> restarting Geronimo with the configId I had set in
> geronimo-jetty.xml and neither attempt was helpful.

Restarting geronimo with a specific (list of) configIDs results in only
those configs and their ancestors getting started.  Then, when you shut
down, the current running state is saved.... this is how you lost the
runtime deployer.
> BTW, something I did must have corrupted the
> deployment module because I soon found I could no
> longer deploy at all..
>
> Deployment failed
>   Server reports: No deployer present in kernel

You should be able to deploy just about any stand-alone war that
doesn't use jndi without a plan.  It will, however, get deployed at a
context root you don't like :-)  I'm a bit unclear on what happened
when you deployed with a geronimo-jetty.xml plan.  It should be,
starting with a "pristine" server, that starting the server, deploying
your app, stopping the server, and restarting the server, that your app
is still available.  (i.e. if you don't include any configIDs on the
command line).

> Tomcat

I haven't played with the tomcat integration.  It is not nearly so far
along as the jetty integration.
> [...]
>         at
> org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:
> 859)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.init(WebappLoader.java:573)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.start(WebappLoader.java:605)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:
> 3985)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:440)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedded.java:789)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer.doStart(TomcatContainer.java
> :175)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanIns
> tance.java:841)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(G
> BeanInstanceState.java:331)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanc
> eState.java:111)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBe
> anInstanceState.java:133)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanIns
> tance.java:494)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel.startRecursiveGBean(Kernel.java:339)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBe
> anInstanceState.java:141)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanIns
> tance.java:494)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel.startRecursiveGBean(Kernel.java:339)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.main(Daemon.java:185)
>
> The wiki indicated that v5.5.4 of Tomcat was embedded
> but JIRA indicates that this was upgraded to v5.5.7. I
> am developing on Mac OS X with JDK 1.4.2 which
> requires some additional jars to be added to Tomcat
> 5.5.7 (see binary downloads available for 5.5.7). I am
> thinking that this is the source of the exception
> above.  However, since Geronimo does not appear to be
> preserving the typical packaging of Tomcat it is not

Hopefully one of the developers who has been working with Tomcat will
tell what is going wrong.  I thought this issue was solved, and at
least one of them is working on os x with jdk 1.4.2.

> I am planning on integrating Apache Pluto with
> Geronimo and since I do not have any information on
> how compatible Pluto is with Jetty I think my best bet
> is to work on getting the Tomcat issues solved. I'd
> appreciate any suggestions on getting there from here.

You should look at Gluecode JOE which is geronimo/jetty + pluto (+ a
management console and some other goodies).  At the moment JOE does
not include ejbs but that edition will be coming fairly soon.  There's
a completely open source version including source code (OE) and a
version with more goodies (SE) that includes non-open-source
extensions.  I expect integrating pluto with tomcat in geronimo would
be a fairly major project until the tomcat integration is more
complete.

http://www.gluecode.com/website/index.jsp

(my employer)

thanks