geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Scott Anderson <portlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo fails on startup when Jetty port set to 80
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:02:36 GMT

Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> It has been a while but I think it may be using tomcat_home to find
> the properties files - you would just need to set it to the right
> location but may not need to actually have a full install of Tomcat
> there.

It appears that it does not matter what the tomcat_home property is set
to...at least not for my OS X/Apache 1.3 installation. I did not test if
removing the property made any difference.

Connecting  Apache 1.3 to Geronimo on OS X was straight forward. The
httpd.conf additions and the workers.properties file worked as advertised...

--- begin /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf additions ---

LoadModule    jk_module  libexec/mod_jk.so
AddModule     mod_jk.c
JkWorkersFile /private/etc/httpd/workers.properties
JkLogFile     /private/var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel    info
JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y]

JkMount /context_path/* ajp13

--- end /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf additions ---

--- begin /private/etc/httpd/workers.properties ---

workers.tomcat_home=/tomcat
workers.java_home=/Library/Java/Home
ps=/
worker.list=ajp13
worker.ajp13.port=8009
worker.ajp13.host=localhost
worker.ajp13.type=ajp13

--- end /private/etc/httpd/workers.properties ---

I found a mod_jk.so binary for OS X using google and installed it at
/usr/libexec/httpd/mod_jk.so. After restarting httpd, the connection to
Geronimo was good to go.

Unfortunately my experience with installing the mod_jk2 connector on
Apache 2 / Fedora Core 3 did not go as smoothly. I was planning on rely
on information from the Jetty web site...

   http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/faq?s=700-Clustering&t=modjk

...but soon found that this information was out of date. The "native"
ant target does not exist. I'd think it would be a very useful usability
enhancement for Geronimo to have something like what Jetty once provided.

Anyway, after some further research I found an RPM for installing
mod_jk2 for Fedora Core 3 and figured out the httpd.conf additions and
what needs to be in the workers2.properties file...

--- begin /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf additions ---

LoadModule    jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so

--- end /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf additions ---

The above directive could also be added to a file within the
/etc/httpd/conf.d/ directory. The workers2.properties file is assumed to
be located in the /etc/httpd/conf/ directory therefore no specification
of its location was required. There seems to be a directive that might
support a different location for this file, but I could not get it to
work...

   JkSet config.file /etc/httpd/conf/workers2.properties

--- begin /etc/httpd/conf/workers2.properties ---

[logger]
level=DEBUG

[config:]
file=${serverRoot}/httpd/conf/workers2.properties
debug=0
debugEnv=0

[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests. Options: debug
debug=0

# Alternate file logger
[logger.file:0]
level=DEBUG
file=${serverRoot}/logs/jk2.log

[shm:]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with
multiprocess servers
file=${serverRoot}/logs/jk2.shm
size=1000000
debug=0
disabled=0

[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=1
debug=0
# Default Native Logger (apache2 or win32 )
# can be overriden to a file logger, useful
# when tracing win32 related issues
#logger=logger.file:0

[lb:lb]
info=Default load balancer.
debug=0

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
debug=0
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1

[ajp13:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009
group=lb

[uri:/context_path/*]
group=lb

[status:]
info=Status worker, displays runtime informations

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
info=Display status information and checks the config file for changes.
group=status:

--- end /etc/httpd/workers2.properties ---

I added the mod_jk2.so binary I found on Google to the
/etc/httpd/modules/ directory and it worked.

Scott

---