geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Scott Anderson <portlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo fails on startup when Jetty port set to 80
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:32:18 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> [...]

>> It looks like the least intrusive route that I could provide
>> documentation for would be to get Geronimo working with Apache using
>> mod_jk.
>>

> That should work - you should just need to change the listener to use
> AJP and then configure HTTPD as usual.

By listener do you mean the JettyWebConnector gbean defined in
j2ee-server-plan.xml?  Do I simply replace the HTTPConnector class
specified in the gbean descriptor with AJP13Connector?

As far as configuring httpd goes it appears that I am going to need to
add support in httpd.conf for a workers.properties file for Apache 1.3
and a workers2.properties file for Apache 2. Here's what I found for
httpd.conf/1.3...

LoadModule    jk_module  libexec/mod_jk.so
AddModule     mod_jk.c
JkWorkersFile /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile     /usr/local/apache/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel    info
JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y]

I also will need to configure in httpd.conf some JkMount entries in a
VirtualHost to use ajp13.

For a workers.properties file that might work with Geronimo/Jetty I found...

workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat
workers.java_home=/usr/java
ps=/
worker.list=ajp13
worker.ajp13.port=8009
worker.ajp13.host=localhost
worker.ajp13.type=ajp13

I am assuming workers.tomcat_home gets ignored when running against
Geronimo/Jetty. My hope is that I could simply reuse these
configurations for Geronimo/Tomcat. I ignored the stuff I saw about
supporting an inprocess JNI connector.

For Apache2 I found the following for httpd.conf...

LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
AddModule     mod_jk.c
JkWorkersFile /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/conf/workers2.properties
JkLogFile     /usr/local/apache/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel    info
JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y]

...and there is this on the Jetty web site...

---- workers2.properties

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1

# define the worker
[ajp13:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

# Uri mapping. This says that any incoming connection to any file
# under "/jetty/" should be handled the worker defined above

[uri:/jetty/*]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

# The same, but for /demo
[uri:/demo/*]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

---- end worker2.properties

This seems straight forward. It looks like Apache2/workers2 is enhanced
with support for routing url patterns to different hosts.

I am going to take a break and then start testing the above on a Mac OS
X powerbook (Apache 1.3) and a Fedora Core 3 box (Apache 2). I'll report
back with any successes and/or failures.

Scott