geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploying minimal web app
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:18:55 GMT
Scott Anderson wrote:

> The biggest issues that have been recently biting the Pluto team have
> been related to Tomcat's implementation of cross context support for
> the portal driver war and portlet wars. This functionality lets
> portlets access shared portlet sessions and contexts. How would I
> turn on a web app context's crossContext behavior in the
> Geronimo/Jetty or JOE environments?

This seems to be an ongoing issue with portlets. AIUI there are rules in
the portlet spec that enforce isolation between portlet sessions to
prevent them interfering with each other; this makes it hard to share
information though :-(

Cross-context dispatch is supported but, per the servlet spec, the
contexts' sessions are also isolated from each other so they don't tread
on each others' attributes.

You may be able to pass your session to another context as a request
parameter but you will need to watch out for class compatibility issues
as they may be using different classloaders - see below for packaging
the libraries that may help with this.

> If I can get this behavior to work and determine what Jetty directory
> I need to install Pluto's libraries so that the contents of the jars
> can be shared by the portal driver war and the portlet wars...the
> equivalent of Tomcat's shared/lib directory...I think I will be in
> good shape for moving forward on Jetty.

The easiest way to share the libraries is to bundle the portal and
portlet wars together into an ear and then add the libraries to the ear
deployment plan as <dependency>'s.

Alternatively you can create a custom config containing <dependency>s
for the libraries and then make that the parent of your portal and
portlet applications; this allows them to be deployed separately.

--
Jeremy